Author Topic: Renaming Swedish Immigrants to UK  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Renaming Swedish Immigrants to UK
« on: Monday 26 April 04 01:05 BST (UK) »
 :P
My great grandfather Trolle in Sweden had a falling out with his family, sailed the world in a clipper ship, and then lived in London as a Merchant Seaman.  However when he immigrated to England, I have been told a judge in a court gave him a new name REWERS.
Does anyone know anything about this custom?  Law?  It would have been around 1885 to 1890, my grandfather John Victor Rewers was born in London in 1892.
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Renaming Swedish Immigrants to UK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 May 04 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Janine,

What an interesting tale  :)

What name does it give on the birth certificate of John Victor Rewers or the census for 1891  ???

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline JudyLea

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Renaming Swedish Immigrants to UK
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 15:02 BST (UK) »
I've recently worked through this on my husband's maternal line -- the Swedes originally used patronymic names such as "Anders' son" for the son of a man whose first name was Anders.  When these young men went into the military (and perhaps into the merchant marine), there was much confusion because of the duplication -- i.e., too many "Anders' sons"!  Many names were changed at that point to reflect their rank, their home place or some geographic feature.  My husband's family, for example, went from Andersson to Bjurstrom to Brustrom -- between the military change and the spelling change when they came to the U.S. in the 1890's, it was a real mining job to get back to the right family!  I don't know anything about laws/customs re changing names when folks went to England, however.

That said, the Swedes have fantastic documentation in their parish records and a number of really good genealogy sites where you can start by searching for the original family name.  You might search for "Swedish naming customs" to get a list of options, for starters.

Good luck!  I hope your treasure hunt will be as fruitful as ours has!

Offline Janine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Renaming Swedish Immigrants to UK
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 05 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you JudyLea, and to answer Rootschat - he was named John Victor Rewers so my grandfather changed his name prior to marriage to Charlotte Liston.  Charlotte Liston died at aged 41 and Jon Rewers married his sister Clara.  I can find NO records for Clara in London Poplar whatsoever.  Perhaps she also married and was widowed?
I will try to further check into my Swedish roots at some point - my tree seems to be developing far too many branches too rapidly for me to keep up with.
Janine Page nee Rewers
Canadian ... but really 1/8 Swede, 1/8 Irish, 3/4 English!
Sussex: Winter, Crowhurst, Vine, Woolgar; London: Liston, Canada: Rewers; Carbery, Collier (Irish immigrants); Sweden: Trolle, or von Trolle