Author Topic: **COMPLETED**Charles Beames POTTER and Eunice Bertha BRAY  (Read 8592 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Beames POTTER and Eunice Bertha BRAY
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of mentions of Charles Beames POTTER from the National Library digital newspapers:

Canberra Times, Saturday 1 Dec 1951
List of people applying for licences on behalf of various organistions - 'Charles Beames Potter of the Canberra Bowling Club.
Canberra Times, Thurs 9 November 1950,
Application from Charles Beames Potter, holder of Grocers' Licence on behalf of Harris' Grocery, Manuka, applying for a Liquor licence
and 2 other similar notices

http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 April 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando

Not finding them in 1901 is interesting coz that's about when Charles Beames was born.  

Informant on Charlotte's death was the Authorised Agent in Portland... surname a bit tricky to read.  None of the deaths that I have for this extended family seem to have any family as Informants on them........which is not really helpful.

Thanks Judith, had found those, interesting for the family to know about... always thought he was a Civil Servant...

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 April 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Not unusual not finding people on the 1901 electoral roll.  Compulsory voting in Australia was adopted in Queensland in 1915 and subsequently adopted nationwide in 1924.

I note that Charlotte's parents' names are on the death index and  someone had to give Charlotte's their names etc to the undertaker -  perhaps taken from previous certs.

Have you seen the ALEXANDER /POTTER marriage cert in 1930?  Surely if Charles was Charlotte's natural child, he would be listed, not by name, but as living issue.

Have you the above cert?

I note that on Charles' burial record Beames is again part of his name

POTTER, Charles Beames
Cemetery Woden     Date of death unknown    
Date of burial Tuesday, 7 June 1955     
Headstone     Anglican     AN/H/B/001A

Certainly frustrating for you not finding Charles Beames' birth details :( 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 April 09 11:25 BST (UK) »

Cando

Don't as yet have Charlotte's second marriage certificate, waiting on some stuff from the family first.  We are fairly sure that someone in the family has Charles' death, so we are going to see if that tells us anything new or different.  It may take a week to track it down, and by then I'll be off on holidays for a week or so....

Karenlee

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 April 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
I hope Charles' death cert gives you some more info.

Just been away for a few days myself....bliss ;D

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 April 09 11:45 BST (UK) »

Not holding my breath with Charles' death cert..... don't think that it will provide us with any " Oh Wow" moments.  Seems he is fairly certain that his parents were George and Charlotte Elizabeth.......... just wish we could convince George and Charlotte Elizabeth of that............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So looking forward to a week off...... pity I have to spend it with my children............. JOKE........... ;D ;D ;D

Karenlee

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 April 09 02:22 BST (UK) »

Back from my week away... and spent the past 10 days trying desperately to catch up with all the laundry and to sort out stuff at work, so not done much on this problem until today.

No sign of any death certificates for either Charles or Eunice in a box or suitcase in Canberra as yet.... still looking to see if one of the family has either.

Will wait another week or so before I order them out of frustration... just to see who Charles states his parents are.

Decided to try and find out more about the New Zealand POTTER family... maybe some clues there...

Fingers crossed and thanks for all the help.  I am going to keep this link open for a while yet.... who knows who might read it.

Karenlee

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 May 09 08:50 BST (UK) »

Thanks again to all who helped out on this thread, and the parallel thread for BRAY that I posted.

I am going to turn my attentions elsewhere as I think we've got all we're going too for the moment.  However, if anything comes up I will be sure and post for you all to see.

Thanks

Cheers
Karenlee

Offline Terry_at_NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: **COMPLETED**Charles Beames POTTER and Eunice Bertha BRAY
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 October 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this Chat.
Charles Beames POTTER was my 1st cousin twice removed.
I notice the correspondence finished 7 years ago, but if anyone wants to take it up again I have documents that are not mentioned here - you may have seen them by now.
Terry Montgomery