Author Topic: Bridget Dowling Hitler  (Read 28667 times)

Offline mayoevie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Dowling Hitler
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 May 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane.
I was hoping you would notice my post. I know you are an expert on all things in Dublin.

Evelyn

Offline Nuerndor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
I am actually looking through directories for bookbinder for another poster at the moment... will keep an eye out for any Dowlings

Shane
Hi Shane, How are you? I am Evelyn's sister (Dor Dowling), we know that some Dowling relatives were living in 17 Little Britten St. in 1901 and that there was also a printing works in that same building. There may have been some connection. Some other bookbinder/compositor Dowling relatives were also living in 83, Seville Place. In case that info would help the search.

Offline cassandra123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 May 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Alois Hitler lived for a time in Toxeth area of Liverpool.

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/mrlhp/local/hitlerinliverpool/hitlerinliverpool.htm

Hitlers father , was  Alios Schickelgruber

There is a vast amount on this subject available in Liverpool records.
"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side.   I did not laugh.
People who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them.......

By Robert A Heinlein

Offline mayoevie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 May 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Cassandra.

Thank you for your message.

I had a quick look at the Liverpool site. It is very interesting and it would take quite a while to read it. I will have to leave it for later.
I have a copy of the the Memoirs of Bridget Hitler.  I read it a few years ago before I was bitten with this genealogy bug. Must read it again soon.

In the meantime I am trying to find out if Bridget's father William was a brother of my grandfather.
This rumour has been in our family for a number of years but so far I have not been able to find evidence to prove it.

Evelyn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
printing and bookie Dowling entries for you from the mid 1890s

Patrick Dowling , commission agent, 38 Drury st
   res. 43 Rathgar avenue, Rathgar

William A. Dowling,  lithographer, 24 Conyngham rd

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 May 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
According to a feature in the Echo of November 18 1999, Bridget's paternal grandparents were Martin and Elizabeth Dowling from Cookstown.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 May 09 16:00 BST (UK) »
I did a bit of research on this family a while back and have some details filed away.

Alois Hitler married Bridget Elizabeth Dowling in Marylebone register office on 3 June 1910. They subsequently moved to Liverpool and lived at 102 Upper Stanhope Street where their son William Patrick Hitler was born on 12 March 1911. The marriage and birth certificates can be viewed on Mike Royden's website
 http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/mrlhp/local/hitlerinliverpool/hitlerinliverpool.htm

At the time I couldn't find the family in the 1911 census but I'll have another look.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 May 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
OK I have now found them in 1911 boarding at 102 Upper Stanhope Street. Anton and Cissie Hitler, according to the transcript.

Offline mayoevie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 May 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all.
Many thanks. I saw your posts more than an hour ago but could not reply as I had to cook a meal for my poor neglected husband. He is happy now and watching the news so I can continue.

Shane.
Thank you for your time and trouble.

That is my grandfather Patrick Dowling. He lived in East Essex Street at the time of his first marriage and lived in Rathgar for a while before moving to Templeogue before 1901.

I don't know about William A. He could possibly be a brother or an uncle of Patrick.

Patrick's father Richard Dowling appears in the 1911 census as a retired book-binder born in Meath and living with him is his daughter Alicia whose occupation is book folder.
Richards son Thomas is a book-binder
Richards daughter Mary was married to Laurence Purtell a printer.

I don't yet know the names or occupations of Richard's remaining children, but there is a strong connection to a printing business and a family story that they printed for Arthur Griffith.

Could I prevail on you to see if there is a printing works in Little Britain Street?

Thanks,
Evelyn