Author Topic: Totten's Deerpark/Glenavy Co. Antrim  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Murphymoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Totten's Deerpark/Glenavy Co. Antrim
« on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on Philip Totten and wife Dorothea Jula and family who married at Glenavy Parish Church on 13 Feb 1846.  According to their marriage certificate they resided at Ballybollen Parish of Lambeg at the time. Dorothea's father was James Jula. The only mention I have found of this surname is on their marriage certificate so not sure if this is correct, possibly Yule or Yuill.  Would be interested to know if anyone has any information regarding Dorothea and her family.  Also Philip and Dorothea had a son Thomas who married Mary Kelly at Lurgan Registrar's office in 1867.  They both resided in Aghagallon at the time.  Thomas and Mary had 2 children before moving to Scotland about 1873, Henry born at Deerpark in 1868 and Margaret at Aghagallon, Glenavy in 1870.

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Totten's Deerpark/Glenavy Co. Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 09 07:35 BST (UK) »
Murphymoo

http://www.ulsterancestry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43

And Julia Totten appears to have been a historian of Glenavy parish, so you should find plenty more.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 09 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Emerald Ancestors gives the surname as YULA.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi murphymoo.
Found this marriage while searching for Creaney in Glenavy and thought it might be of interest to you.
Not what you are seeking, but a member of the Totten clan.

James Creaney married Helena Totten, on the 11 July 1906, in Glenavy Church of Ireland.
A family that I believe to be them is in the 1911 census, residing at 36 Lendrick Street, Pottinger, Belfast, Co Down.

Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline orangelil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Who was Philip's father on the marriage cert? I am descended from and have info on some Deerpark Tottens.
Thanks
karen
McGarvey (Belfast/ Cookstown), Robinson (Belfast), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Glasgow/ Belfast), Totton (Glenavy), Thompson (Belfast), Craig (Belfast), O'Rawe (Randalstown, Belfast), Philips (Belfast), Matthews (Belfast), Lavery (Belfast), McAree (Belfast), Edwards (Belfast), Drain (Ballymoney), Ferguson (Belfast)  http://mcgarveygenealogy.blogspot.com/

Offline dat8844

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I see you are researching the Totten name. I am a descendant of Totten's in Co. Tyrone. I'd be interested in hearing about your lineage as everyone in my family has hit a brick wall, and can not find any information. The reason for this is we only know the name of our ancestor was John Totten, and that he came from the Co. Tyrone area. He and his wife and children immigrated to America (NY) and in the early 1800's. I heard it is difficult to trace ancestors in Ireland, is that true? Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thanks, Dee

Offline fmni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 09 10:58 BST (UK) »

I am a descendant of Totten's in Co. Tyrone.

Hi Dee,

The 'Totten' surname is so rare in County Tyrone that it is relatively straightforward to narrow down your relative's origins to one or two townlands within the County.

Firstly, in the early 1850s there are four 'Totten' marriages taking place (I realise this is after your John Totten has emigrated but v.safe to assume these are relatives still living in Co. Tyrone) within two areas - Killyman and Pomeroy.

Killyman

Mary Ann TOTTEN married William Dawson in Killyman Church of Ireland on the 3rd October 1851

Jane TOTTEN married Alexander Young in Killyman Church of Ireland on the 11th August 1854.

Pomeroy

Henry TOTTEN married Nancy Johnston in Pomeroy Presbyterian Church, Pomeroy on the 22nd August 1851

Margaret TOTTEN married Alexander Hall in Pomeroy Presbyterian Church, Pomeroy on the 4th December 1855.

Secondly, Griffiths Valuation of Ireland has just two 'Totten' households living in the entire county of Tyrone.

The family of Joseph Totten, living in the townland of Gortead, Desertcreat and the family of John Totten living in the townland of Bovean, Killyman.

It would be worth trying to find someone who could look up the individual church records for you and see what records exist for the early 1800s, if any at all.
HILL - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: BANKS - Moira, Co. Down: ARMOUR - Lisburn, Co.Antrim: WALKER - Dromore, Co. Down: MAGEE - Lambeg, Co. Antrim: THOMPSON - Derriaghy/Magheragall, Co. Antrim: TITTERINGTON - Moira, Co. Down: McNEILL - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: SWAIN - Moira, Co. Down: IRVINE - CLONES, Co. Monaghan: TURNBULL - Lurgan, Co. Armagh: CARLISLE - Lisburn, Co. Antrim: MORROW, Lisburn, Co. Antrim: FORSYTHE - Magheralave, Co. Antrim: MARTIN - Ballinderry, Co. Antrim: REILLY, Magheralin, Co. Down

Offline dat8844

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 09 05:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information!  :)

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 June 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there...I don't know if this will be of any intrest to the ones searching the Surname Totten....

Mary Anne Totten, from the parish of Lisburn, age 55  buried September 13th, 1889 in Magheragall Church yard.  entry No. 448 in the Parish register.

Also
Alexander Totten, Moira??(hard to make out) Nov 29 1879, age 84, entry No. 56

All the best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast