Author Topic: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers  (Read 26399 times)

Offline alba99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers
« on: Thursday 02 April 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of the names of companies, locations etc which were engaged in Boot/Shoe making in the 19th Century in Linlithgow. Many of my relatives were involved in this line of work including the tanneries supplying the leather. 

I know that the Scout/Guide Halls in Dog Well wynd were previously a shoe factory and the two primary schools in Preston Road were built over the site of the last tannery in Linlithgow

Many Thanks
Les
Bathgates - Scotland

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 09 00:13 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of the names of companies, locations etc which were engaged in Boot/Shoe making in the 19th Century in Linlithgow. Many of my relatives were involved in this line of work including the tanneries supplying the leather. 

I know that the Scout/Guide Halls in Dog Well wynd were previously a shoe factory and the two primary schools in Preston Road were built over the site of the last tannery in Linlithgow

Many Thanks
Les

Hi, Les.

The best source for the information you want would be the Valuation Rolls which started in 1855 and there are annual copies at the West Lothian Local History Library.  The first six years are on film and the remainder in large bound books.  Either way it would be a long task reading through them.

However, I've been able to extract the number of footwear workers there were in the town in 1851, 1881 and 1901 which may be of interest:

54 shoemakers
2 shoe makers
0 bootmakers
0 boot makers

329 shoemakers
1 shoe maker
5 boot makers
5 bootmakers

72 shoemakers
5 shoe makers
4 boot makers
8 bootmakers

The 1895 25" map shows three tanneries named as such - two on the north side of High Street between the street and the loch.  The other, a much larger concern on the south side of the town between the railway and the canal, was named as Rivalds Green Tan Works

The factory in Dog Well Wynd belonged to Dougal & Steel but the map shows no tanneries on Preston Road.  What were there in 1895 were the Gowan Stank Glue Works (an appropriate name?) and the slaughterhouse.

The 1893-94 Business Directory of Linlithgowshire lists the following:

Boot and Shoe Makers
(those marked * are wholesale)
George Aitken, 228 High St
Geo. Brotherston, Muiravonside
*Dougal & Steel, Dog Well Wynd
*W.&G. Dougal, 210 High St
*David Duncan, 264 High St
John Eccles, Muiravonside
*Thomas Glen, 126 High St
Geo. Henderson, 56 High St
Hannah Hutton, 98 High St
*Wm. Little, 71 High St
*J.&W. M'Alpine, 233 High St
*Wm. Mack, 238 High St
*Alex. M. Meek, 162 High St
*A. Morrison & Sons, 292 High St
Jas. Paterson, 197 High St
David Rattray, 56 High St
Robert Taylor, 36 High St

Curriers, Tanners and Leather Merchants
Thomas Boyd, 241 High St
P.&A.M. Callender, 338 High St
A. Hardie & Sons, 232 High St
Alex. Meek, 162 High St
Morrison & Sons, 296 High St

Skinners
Thos. Boyd, 241 High St
T. Nimmo & Co., Rivalds Green

I hope this is of some use, Les, but, I repeat, the best place for your research is the Local History Library - if you can get there, of course.

Regards,

Tom

Offline alba99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tom,

I didn't expect such a wealth of info so quickly. 

Morrisons :  I did half suspect that it would be one of the shoemakers. I used to love going into their shop when I was young. I can still recall the smell of polished leather.

Gowan's glue factory : My Uncle worked there until it closed, I always thought it started life as a tannery and finished up making glue after the demise of shoemaking.

Rivaldsgreen : was Hardie's lemonade factory and a timber merchants when I was growing up  : now the BT Telephone exchange and some new flats.

I will need to get over to Blackburn ( now reside in stirlingshire) at some point and do more researching.

Bathgates - Scotland

Offline suejv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for information on Shoe and bootmakers in Linlithgow in the 1800s. Several census entries show my ancestors- Vine- as shoemakers in High Street and I see that in 1841 apart from general and agricultural labourers and cotton trade workers showmakers were the most numerous group of workers in the town.

Sue

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Folks, I think the main Bootmakers in Linlithgow were Morrison's, Callenders & Meek's (my own lot), I believe they used to combine to service the Army Contract but when this went elsewhere it was something of a disaster for the town....Skoosh.

Offline straddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My ancestor was Mary Gardner who married Alexander Miller Meek in 1866 in Linlithgow.  In the 1881 census Alexander was 37 years old, master shoemaker in High Street Linlithgow, employing 10 men and 2 boys. He was  also a councillor. Alexander died in 1916 in Linlithgow.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Straddie, we have the same gt'gt' grandfather, my gt'g'father George was brother to Alexander, he married a Maggie Clydesdale from Bo'Ness, how far back have you managed to get?......Skoosh.

Offline straddie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh
As my ancestor was Mary Gardner, the only information I have on Alexander was his parents were William Meek who married Mary Miller in 1839 and that they both died on the same day in May 1877 in High Street, Linlithgow

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Straddie, so you're descended from Mary Gardner, who presumably married? twice, William Meek's grandparents were William Meek & Isabella Watson, she was probably from Lesmahagow, died Linlithgow, he's my brick wall! died before registration. the family lived all over theplace so difficult to find his origins. Mary Miller was from Haddington, she and William Meek both died on the same day (stone in St'Michaels) The loss of the army/navy contract was a big blow to the town.