Author Topic: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers  (Read 17875 times)

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
my info does not go back too far.  As far as I know it was solely a bootmakers in Linlithgow.  I believe they made a lot of boots for men in the cavalry and that this trade dwindled towards the end of the 19th century. My great grandfather, Alexander Millar Meek had 6 children but did any of them continue in the boot and shoe business.  He and Mary had 3 boys and 3 girls.  2 of the boys John(my grandfather) and Alexander (grandfather of Tormohun!) left Linlithgow for Liverpool.  The eldest boy was William.  Did he stay and continue in the trade?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 August 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
My gt g'father was Alexander's brother George. Alexander was the provost & sat on the bench as a magistrate where his own grandfather, a baker in Bathgate, appeared on a poaching charge & was fined 10, a lot of money!

Around 1880 Linlithgow lost the army/navy? contract which hit the town badly. George Meek moved to Galashiels then Queensferry & finally Glasgow, my cousin has a Meek website & would like me to send you his email number, once you have made 3 posts I can PM this to you as email numbers are not allowed on the threads.

Bests,

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
@ fruitveg,  there was a Willie Meek had a shoe-shop in Linlithgow, North side of the High Street if I remember aright!  Morrison's also had a shoe-shop on the south side.

Skoosh.

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 August 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg and Skoosh.

Some more information for you.
As you say, Alexander Miller Meek had six children.
William 1867-1939, married Marion (Minnie) More, and had four children themselves. William did carry on the boot manufacturing business. He joined the Linlithgow Town Council, became a magistrate, and then Provost of Linlithgow. His son William carried on the business.

Jane Bird (1870-1951) married Andrew Grierson, and had three children. Andrew became town clerk of Edinburgh and was knighted, so Jane became Lady Grierson.

John (1872-1952), married Isabella Moffatt, and with his brother Alexander and Walter Bellis founded Bellis and Meek. I believe they had two children.

Mary Miller (1876-1958) did not marry. She lived at Rosland Cottage and then Edinburgh.

Alice (1878-1955) married Archibald Blackadder, motor engineer, They did not have any children. Alice died at Rosland Cottage.

Alexander (1883-?), as you know, married Edith Montgomery. I am aware, I think, of three children, John, Rhona and Ethel, but have no further details.

I hope this helps to fill some gaps.

Bill66

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Bill!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,

Thanks. Thought it was about time... :D

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
So our great grandfathers were brothers. My great grandfather, Alexander did pass on his boot manufacturing business to his eldest son, William. William married Meenie and had a son, Alexander and 2 daughters on the 1901 census.
Of the 2 other sons who came to Liverpool (where I was born and brought up) it seems the Meek name has died out. My grandfather, John had 4 children, just 1 being a boy, my uncle Ken.  Ken married and had 2 daughters.
Information on the third son has been given by Tormohun from New Zealand whose email I would welcome if poss.
Thanks to Bill66 who knows about Bellis and Meek.  My interest is knowing why my grandfather came to Liverpool and who was Walter Bellis

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg,

See this link http://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/page/walter_james_bellis_jp

Is this Walter?  I would guess they came to Liverpool because it was the biggest port in the UK at that time.

Bill66

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg,

I have sent you a personal message.

Bill66