Author Topic: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers  (Read 26451 times)

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linlithgow Tanneries / Bootmakers
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
my info does not go back too far.  As far as I know it was solely a bootmakers in Linlithgow.  I believe they made a lot of boots for men in the cavalry and that this trade dwindled towards the end of the 19th century. My great grandfather, Alexander Millar Meek had 6 children but did any of them continue in the boot and shoe business.  He and Mary had 3 boys and 3 girls.  2 of the boys John(my grandfather) and Alexander (grandfather of Tormohun!) left Linlithgow for Liverpool.  The eldest boy was William.  Did he stay and continue in the trade?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 August 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
My gt g'father was Alexander's brother George. Alexander was the provost & sat on the bench as a magistrate where his own grandfather, a baker in Bathgate, appeared on a poaching charge & was fined £10, a lot of money!

Around 1880 Linlithgow lost the army/navy? contract which hit the town badly. George Meek moved to Galashiels then Queensferry & finally Glasgow, my cousin has a Meek website & would like me to send you his email number, once you have made 3 posts I can PM this to you as email numbers are not allowed on the threads.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
@ fruitveg,  there was a Willie Meek had a shoe-shop in Linlithgow, North side of the High Street if I remember aright!  Morrison's also had a shoe-shop on the south side.

Skoosh.

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 August 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg and Skoosh.

Some more information for you.
As you say, Alexander Miller Meek had six children.
William 1867-1939, married Marion (Minnie) More, and had four children themselves. William did carry on the boot manufacturing business. He joined the Linlithgow Town Council, became a magistrate, and then Provost of Linlithgow. His son William carried on the business.

Jane Bird (1870-1951) married Andrew Grierson, and had three children. Andrew became town clerk of Edinburgh and was knighted, so Jane became Lady Grierson.

John (1872-1952), married Isabella Moffatt, and with his brother Alexander and Walter Bellis founded Bellis and Meek. I believe they had two children.

Mary Miller (1876-1958) did not marry. She lived at Rosland Cottage and then Edinburgh.

Alice (1878-1955) married Archibald Blackadder, motor engineer, They did not have any children. Alice died at Rosland Cottage.

Alexander (1883-?), as you know, married Edith Montgomery. I am aware, I think, of three children, John, Rhona and Ethel, but have no further details.

I hope this helps to fill some gaps.

Bill66

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Bill!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,

Thanks. Thought it was about time... :D

Offline fruitveg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
So our great grandfathers were brothers. My great grandfather, Alexander did pass on his boot manufacturing business to his eldest son, William. William married Meenie and had a son, Alexander and 2 daughters on the 1901 census.
Of the 2 other sons who came to Liverpool (where I was born and brought up) it seems the Meek name has died out. My grandfather, John had 4 children, just 1 being a boy, my uncle Ken.  Ken married and had 2 daughters.
Information on the third son has been given by Tormohun from New Zealand whose email I would welcome if poss.
Thanks to Bill66 who knows about Bellis and Meek.  My interest is knowing why my grandfather came to Liverpool and who was Walter Bellis

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg,

See this link http://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/page/walter_james_bellis_jp

Is this Walter?  I would guess they came to Liverpool because it was the biggest port in the UK at that time.

Bill66

Offline Bill66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Fruitveg,

I have sent you a personal message.

Bill66