Author Topic: WANETONGE/WANIGETUNGA/WENIGETUNGA/WENITONG Family  (Read 9077 times)

Offline aliandcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WANETONGE/WANIGETUNGA/WENIGETUNGA/WENITONG Family
« on: Thursday 02 April 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Wanetonge family, came to Australia (not sure when they arrived in Aust)
Sarah Wanetonge (born in Kandy, Ceylon-about 1870) married Kallu Appo (born Point de Galle-about 1863) in 1883 at 13yrs, her father was Harmonis Wanetonge mother was Lucy Hamey.
Sarah came to Australia with a brother called John James (born 1879-Ceylon)
John married Eliza Kathleen Romanis

Variations of name found are as follows:
Wenigetunga
Wanigetunga
Wenitong.
Please help as I am just starting out with genealogy, Where can I look for info on this family.

Offline Wenitong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wanetonge/Wanigetunga/Wenigetunga/Wenitong
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am a Wenitong in Australia, married to the eldest grandson of Eliza K. Romanis & John James Wanetonge. Can help a bit with the Australian side of your/our family. At the same time find out more on your side. Very interested.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WANETONGE/WANIGETUNGA/WENIGETUNGA/WENITONG Family
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat to both of you.

Aliandcol do you have any idea of where they might have come to in Australia?

It will be interesting to see if you and Wenitong can make contact.

YOu need to do 3 (I think) postings before you can use the R'chat Private message system.

Adding:   there are a number of entries with name WENITONG on the National Archives site, mostly born around Childers Qld..

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx
Click on Namesearch.

One of these is digitised and is a Certificate Exempting from Dictation Test for John Wenitong who departed for Ceylon per VILLE DE LA CIOTAT on 18 May 1908, returned to Brisbane per RMS OMRAH on 30 December 1909

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wenitong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 07:52 BST (UK) »
Just spoke to my husband. He remembers Eliza really well, as he used to go to her place after school. His generation, he has 3 brothers & I sister, there was another brother, but he died young. All of them were born in Gladstone Queensland Australia. His father Lionel Wenitong was born in Childers Queensland.

Offline aliandcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
Apologies I haven't replied earlier, have been to busy. Hopefully will have more time to get back into family history. Anne Wenitong was my grandmother, she is a daughter of Eliza and John.

Offline Wenitong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 October 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rani here, what is your name? are you in Australia?Are you in touch with any other Wenitongs? Do you have email?

Offline wenitong?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 September 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My great grandmother was Eliza Wenitong. Grandmother was Rosemary Wright. I am trying to find out some family history.

Offline Kellic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
 :) I am a descendent of the Wenitong family but I am a little confused. I was told they're of Ceylon but researching the name they're of Aboriginal descent. Van anyone help my confusion. Your help would be greatly appreciated as my children would love to learn their culture.
Thank you

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Kellic,

Welcome to RootsChat.

It is a fantastic place, especially for anyone seeking help with their family history.

If you click on the live link you will find an earlier thread that may have some further info for you

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=577010.0

It is entirely possible for you to be descending from people from Ceylon, and also to have an Aboriginal heritage, and also a European heritage as well. 

I have ancestors born in Spain, France, the Sub-Continent, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Switzerland, and many other places, who came to Australia at various times from around 1790s to the mid 19th Century.

I have relatives who live in the general area near to Goodnight Scrub  :)

Many Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.