Author Topic: mickleton manor  (Read 16108 times)

Offline Micky j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mickleton manor
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 March 15 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was a pupil there from 1959-late 1963.
only around 50 in the school.
 It was a school of hard knocks run by a complete Bully Mr Prankard who liked to beat up boys with a billiard cue (i do believe he was prosecuted for this)certainly a big splash in the papers.With a son Paul Prankard who was not much better.Mrs P liked a drink or two.
He (MR P) taught carpentry I still have to this day the Bread cutting board made of oak,from a old church pew,that I made in his workshop.
Kitchen staff that I can remember where Mrs Stowe senior &  Peggy Stowe. Also a Mrs Heart whom I sometime helped to do the cleaning at w/e`s   
I can also remember Mr Eagles the school secretary ,Maths and classical music,who I believe went on to run his own school in Wales.
Mr Thomas who used to take PE/Games Gymnastics and Boxing (I was school Victor ludorum in 1962 ,by only the narrowest of margins) and rambling good outdoor activity enjoyed by many up through the woods of the local farmer and sneak of with the village boys (and girls! Hi Elizabeth Solace and Janet Heart) was taught how to lay snares amongst other things Mr T later went back to Narberth Pembrokeshire to run a pub last I heard of him.
Best Teacher there was Old Mr JB Oakley taught art and crafts and had a lot of time for all us troublesome boys Had an old Riley car some of us would cram into when he went exploring wildlife great days indeed.I will and have done in the past raise a glass to him .
  I used to enjoy the runs up around the village,Meon hill and Chipping Camden-Mickleton 3 1/2 miles as I remember or the long one Stratford upon Avon - Mickleton  8+ miles
Getting into the old CA Bedford Mini bus to go swimming at Chipping Camden or rables.
The Coach tours day trips to Historic castles and London attractions(essays written afterwards)
The annual school holiday to Cornwalls St Anthony in Roseland (river trips Peter the Viking) and fishing for Mackerel.
Trips to Ireland Bray Co Wicklow ,Arklow,Silver Strand beach .
In all a wealth of learning. 
 Boys That I remember

Colin May ,a little excitable but ask him a question and you would get an in depth, correct answer.
Alan Doyle taught me how to scrap and win.
Tony Glover.
Peter Bray
Jeff Welford
 Probably others and sorry if I missed you out or went on a bit .
TTFN Micky J

Motorhome Travel / Europe

Offline DavidCC+1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 March 15 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.I have a photo when we went to Italy all the school Also 1 from 1 of the athletic days we had every year.I went on Ireland trip we caught fish then the hotel cooked them for us.I was there from around 1963 til around 1966.Yes i still have my coat n prefects badge + a fruit bowl that was like you made under the pipe smoking Mr Prankard n his beloved Rolls.great meals tripe n onions Brawn,anything that was cheap.the best job was the washing or wiping got to eat some real food even if it was the leftovers from the staff 1s.If i can find a way of getting the photo from a printer to my computer i will download my photos.If you go onto Ebay you will see postcards of the manor.Dont worry about sending too much info its always helpful in filling in the gaps we all teld to forget
Best Regards David Cummings now 63 years old

Offline Micky j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 March 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at previous post I believe I knew Paul Garside from pop north if memory serves ,in fact all mentioned. I never went on the Italy trip but the Irish one's were great The Marine hotel Bray Co Wicklow ,Mrs Dailey.I got a fish hook in the leg ,local Dr pulled it out and recommended bathing it in sea water Everyday ,so I was off on me tod swimming great stuff .also flying our home made kites at the top of Bray hill.
Can't remember prankheards pipe ,he must have gave up the senior service he used to smoke and what we used to puerloin to swap for what ever from the village kids .Lil.
Now 65 and can hardly remember last week ! But  back then is like yesterday.will see if I can dig out some old pics and post
Ttfn mike joll 65

Offline Tonyemmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all my name is Tony Emmerson and was at the school until it closed at the end of the christmas term 1967 I believe it was moving to Malvern not sure it it actually happened does anyone remember the name of the headmaster I think it was Ted Heath he used to take us out on random trips I also recall the Prankards son having a Triumph Vittesse and taking us fishing i would love to have some pics of people who went there my memory is not too good and cant for the love of me remember any names of kids who were there at that time

Offline Micky j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 April 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all my name is Tony Emmerson and was at the school until it closed at the end of the christmas term 1967 I believe it was moving to Malvern not sure it it actually happened does anyone remember the name of the headmaster I think it was Ted Heath he used to take us out on random trips I also recall the Prankards son having a Triumph Vittesse and taking us fishing i would love to have some pics of people who went there my memory is not too good and cant for the love of me remember any names of kids who were there at that time

Hi Tony and a Happy Easter to you ,Your name is familiar,but hey ho a lot of water under the bridge and all that, what part of the country were you from? I was one of the ones from Plymouth,used to love the train journey home on the old "Cornishman" steam train,kids nowadays don't know what they are missing :)
I cant remember a Ted Heath at St H,but the move to Malvern could have been when Mr Eagles became head over there ,as back in 1968 I had heard of him running a school, was given directions and popped in for tea and a chat ,and that was around that area.
  I`ve found a couple of old photo`s taken at the school ,one from the rouges gallery that use to be up in the lounge area ,Rowing with a couple of other at Stratford upon Avon and another with my brother and I ,when he came to visit all circa 1960/62.Now all I need to do is find out how to upload to here?
I cant remember the Triumph Vitesse ,but can remember the old Austin seven hill climb special he had that we used to ride around the field on ,good old days !
I still visit the area especially Stratford ,will be there in June at a Motorhome rally with a I belong to (motorhomefun.co.uk)
Anyhow stay lucky and all the best to you and yours.
TTFN Mike j

Offline Tonyemmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 April 15 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike many thanks for the quick reply I remember singing songs from the sound of music to Mrs P also getting confirmed at the church, I think there was 2 teachers called Man both female but not related I also visited the Manor a couple of times and noticed its been converted to flats for luvies have a great easter

Offline Tonyemmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 April 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again forgot to mention I was from Hull my mum and dad had a pub I seem to remeber the name Eagles also if you look at the bottom of the reply tool bar on the left there is an upload image icon again have a great weekend

Offline Tony2580

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, My name is Tony Glover, visited Mickleton this last week-end - nostalgic or what?
Was at school from 1958 to 1963, stayed on to do 'A' levels took them at Chipping Campden Grammer School, took the 'O' levels at the Manor, Vicar from St Lawrence supervised, I think there was only Jan Kujinski and myself that did them at the time, however we did quite well, got 5 'O' levels and then 3 'A' levels, then left and went to London Guildhall and got my BA Honours degree
Remember some of the names indicated in the posts, especially Graham Totney, I went in the kitchen after he left
Anyone remember the great fire in the woodwork shop, it was rebuilt with new lathes etc, must have been the Senior Service
Can remember also the cellar where the boilers were, opposite the kitchen, we stored booze and fags behind bricks in the wall, wonder if any are still there lol, Mr Rose the handyman caught us a couple of times, but never let on 
I also recall they took over a hotel in Newnham on Severn to turn into a girls school, went a couple of times to help clean it out, never knew if it materialised, do not remember the new gym either, but I do the horse, boxing in that small old gym,
Still have a cup from the school given to me for 'all round achievement - The Batts Cup it was in 1961/1962
I am 70 this month, but still remember the best school days of my education, was a great upbringing
Have lots of memories, could write a book
Still live in the Midlands if anyone wants to get in touch
Happy Days!!! Tony Glover

Offline Micky j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
 ;)Hi Tony
Yep I remember you ,was there at the same time ,was a little begger back then.
 remember our sparing match over some silly argument by the aviary  ;D,with half the school looking in ,happy days .
left and went on to school back in Plymouth ,was victor ludorum 1962,on the school sports day .
you used to hang around with Paul ,senior services son if I remember correctly.
I Went into long distant haulage and charter boats .
Retired now with motorhome and currently sun  sea ,and local brew at xabia for the winter 66 and still living the dream ,and spending the kids inheritance.
Cheers for the memories
Edit: re the smaller gym don't know if you remember ,practicing for the gym displsy ,I fell off the new trampoline,and dislocated my elbow .Ending up in Stafford Memorial Hospital for a week or two .
Still great days .
Ttfn
Mike Joll.