Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 83042 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 23 March 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Just attended a talk given by Dave Joy on those Cowkeepers, and his own two books- the fact that he arrived late didn't diminish it at all! It was fascinating. Felt sorry for two people who had come for his talk - and then left before he arrived late! They missed it after all the effort of getting there on a not very nice night.

The talk is on tour, as you mentioned in an earlier post. A very extensive tour!
http://www.davejoy-author.com/talksevents-2017.html

Perhaps the two people who left early will get another chance  :) 
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venomous1947

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 09 April 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, all.
My first time on the site, I don't usually go on media sites I leave all that stuff to her indoors.
As regards the Liverpool Cowkeepers, when at school in the late 1950's early 60's I used to have a morning / weekend job at the dairy in Walton Breck Road (just down the raod from Liverpool FC ground Anfield.), It was run by an old Irish guy by the name of Carrol and his brother. They had about 6 Cows at any one time. I used to help deliver the milk in the mornings and help muck out at the weekends. I used to start the day with a warm (Fresh -straight from the cow) pint of Guernsey milk, abouit half of which was full cream.
Most of the milk we used to deliver was bought in and dropped off the night before from one of the large processing dairies like Express and the fresh in house milked stuff was kept for sale over the counter. The odd few bottles being delivered. We delivered the milk on an old flat bed trailer pulled by a horse, when delivering the horse used to stop and start by voice commands without any one on board at the reins.
I have not been past the place in years but it is still there albeit in a changed form. The old shop dorway directly on the corner is a window and the old shipham is now rebuilt into a private house, The main house looks like it is divided up into 3 smaller houses. obviously much smaller 'that's progress' for you.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been away from site for a while but today saw your reply about Metcalf dairy.  I was beginning to think I was only one who remembered it. ( Ex September Road.  )
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 08 April 19 02:13 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone still monitors this thread, but I'd like to add my ancestors, David and Elizabeth Whatman, to the list of Liverpool Cowkeepers between 1886 (when they married) and 1891. David got into trouble with the law twice that year for dealing in dodgy milk, and family legend has it that he went from being a member of the Temperance Movement to a full-blown alcoholic who lost the dairy. He was a dock labourer by 1901.

They kept cows at 6 Northumberland St, Toxteth, and possibly at Beaufort Street before that. I have pictures of them both if anyone is interested, but sadly not of the dairy itself.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread - it's reminded me to go back and research these two a bit more!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 08 April 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
It might be nice if you contacted David Joy - he's listed online - to add your information?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 08 April 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
Will do :-)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 20 April 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
I'm researching an in-law's family - they are distantly connected with some Toxteth Liverpool cowkeepers. I am trying to trace a link with Northern Ireland, but not sure of the surname that would be involved. Does anyone on this thread know of a NI link with the Liverpool cowkeepers (this could be a red-herring but I'm glad to do a bit of research)
Thank you

Offline lorraineosborne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow - I'm so pleased to see all this info on Liverpool Cowkeepers.  On my ancestor's marriage certificate at St Philip's, Liverpool in 1847, his father Thomas Challinor was a Cowkeeper.  The address given was Vine Street, Liverpool. 
I would be grateful for any information anyone has on this address or this family.

Thank you Lo57

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know Vine Street, but I'm posting this reply in case the address has been mis-spelled. I used to live in Liverpool many years ago and remember a street in Garston near Speke Airport called VINEYARD street. Many of the children there went to my old school.  I think the houses were originally for the railway workers but could be mistaken. I know there's are old Garstonians on this site who will give more accurate advice. Good luck.
Lesley