Author Topic: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS  (Read 82747 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: LIVERPOOL COWKEEPERS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/mar/26/george-scharf-london-john-soane

I've been told that this scene would be typical, with cows in the back and a counter to sell the milk at the front.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
I lived off Lower Breck Road in 40s and 50s and I remember a small dairy called Metcalfs at the bottom of Grange Street.  They had a cow in the yard at the back.  I am glad I spotted this post, as no one else in the family remember it and reckon I was making it up.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 April 09 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for the interesting replies. I am beginning to picture Liverpool as a very messy and smelly place with all those cows in the streets. I would love to see some photographs if anyone has any. I haven't been able to find any on the old photo sites.

Michael

Hi Michael

I have a Francis Roberts who is listed as a cowkeeper on 4-8 Garmoyle Road, Toxteth in 1891.   I recently looked on Google Street view to see if I could find a picture of the house.  It looks like the "barn" is still there.  amazing!
Its right at the North West end of Garmoyle Road if you want to check it out.

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
Immigrant Welsh builders constructed the terraced houses around County Road and Walton Lane during the last years of the 19th century. The Welsh brothers who financed and built them named the streets by using the initial letter of each spelling out their own names.

Owen and William Owen Elias are revealed, also I believe one of their sons was also added - Alfred

Oxton, Winslow, Eton, Neston, Andrew, Nimrod, Dane, Wilburn, Ismay, Lind, Lowel, Index, Arnot, Makin, Olney, Weldon, Euston, Nixon, Liston, Imrie, Aston Streets and Stuart Road. (I may have missed a few out there)

When these were built apparently provision was made for a Cowkeeper in each of these streets.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 April 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Interesting thread.

I took this photo in Keble Road Bootle about 5 years ago, the building (painted Green) with the big gates is on the 1891, 1901 census and later directories, the name on the 1901 census who occupied the building was Thomas Hindle - Cowkeeper, you can see the old cow shed in the background just peeping over the gates, it was in a bad way back then, but has since been fixed, the house is now 3 flats, but this is just an example of what other premises that cowkeepers had.

Jan

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 April 09 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, I thought mention of the Welsh builders would attract you  ;D  This was mentioned in the talk given at the Liverpool FHS this week, about T J Hughes, but the story started further back with his mother Ann, who began trading in Old Hall Street.  When the houses were built in Walton, together with the shops, she was first to grab one of the most prominent, now where Ethel Austin's is on County Road.

Good pic of Keble Road.

Mary

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 April 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the comment on the pic, the house painted red next door is my old place, the old cow shed was part of my back yard wall!  All the houses on that side of Keble besides the old cowkeepers place and another house the other end, are all boarded up and waiting for demolition now, such a shame, a lot of history being lost and destroyed.

Jan

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillyminto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 April 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather Thomas Mawer was a cowkeeper at 3 Dalton Street, near to where the Royal Liverpool Hospital is now. 

His family originally came from Lancashire/Yorkshire border area, apparently there were quite a lot of them in Liverpool, West Derby area.
Hawthorn, Mawer, Parr, Lawson

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 April 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
A big thank you to all who have responded to my post, It's all helping to build up a picture.

Michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool