Author Topic: ESRO visit Monday 6th April - COMPLETED  (Read 6797 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ESRO visit Monday 6th April - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 03 April 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
I am heading down to Lewes on Monday and will be able to do some simple look ups in Parish Registers.

Please post as many details as you can so I don't get it wrong when I am there !
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: ESRO visit Monday 6th April
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Swebby,

Please may I take up your generous offer?

I'd be really grateful for a lookup of the Mayfield burial register between 1812 and 1820 for John AVERY, aged 80 and his wife Mary AVERY, aged 82.

The couple have a headstone in St Dunstan's churchyard and I can read on it their ages and even the month of their deaths (March and July, respectively) - but I can't make out the years!  If I have his birth correctly identified, and assuming his age is correct, John Avery's burial should be in 1816 - but I'd like know what the register has.  I have less idea when Mary was born, but the headstone clearly has the year of her death beginning 181..  I simply can't make out the last digit.  It looks like a 2, but I have a transcript of Mayfield burials up to 1812 and she isn't recorded there.

Many thanks if you can help.

Regards,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Swebby

Would you be able to have a look at the Eastbourne records to see if banns of marriage were called there for James Edwards and Susannah Bollard - they married 17 Sep 1787, so I'd expect it to have been within a month or two before that.  They married in North Mundham over in West Sussex, but the record there is very difficult to read - it looks like it says James Edwards of Eastbourne, but it's not clear!

Thanks for the offer - don't worry if it's too awkward.

Regards
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 09 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Swebby

Just a quick one for me if you wouldn't mind.  I'm crossing off parishes looking for a baptism of Stephen Carley Oliver born 1802, could you check Herstmonceux parish register?  His parents, if I am right should be Hannah Oliver and Benjamin Carley, although his father may not show.  They weren't married!

Thank you

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
I HAVE EDITED THIS MESSAGE - WHERE I WROTE PREVIOUSLY MAYFIELD I HAVE AMENDED THAT BY REPLACING MAYFIELD WITH MARESFIELD.

Dear Swebby

Please could you look to see if there is a baptism for Thomas Roney born abt 1803  MARESFIELD, OR FLETCHING OR BRIGHTON Sussex.

I still have not found his parents marriage marriage anywhere although I believe they could have married about 1799 - they were William Roney born abt 1780 a journeyman tailor who was not born in Sussex and Ann born abt 1778.  Could you have a look in the MARESFIELD, OR FLETCHING OR BRIGHTON marriage records to see if their marriage was there.

Best wishes
Penny
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
I have a request for Wiveslfield parish records marriage lookup please and burial lookup.  However, I think the Oat Hall baptisms were probably non-conformist so if it is too much trouble please ignore this.

I was informed previously that Wivelsifield parish records were under East Sussex rather than West Sussex records offices, so if it is possible, I'm trying to establish the last name of the mother of my Sarah Ede, and where Elizabeth married Sarah's father, John Ede .

Could you also check burials for Wivelsfield to see if an Elizabeth Ede/Eade or variant was buried after 1806 and before 1813

IGI : Batpism for Sarah Ede, Batch No C076261, Source call No 0825422 (RG4 3145) Birth:  26 OCT 1806   
Christening:  30 NOV 1806   Oat Hall Independent, Wivelsfield, Sussex, England
Father John Ede, Mother Elizabeth. 
(With Lindfield, Sarah's place of birth in the censuses, being the nearest town for Wivelsfield, is why I think this is for my Sarah.)
I also noted other baptisms for Eade/Edes at the same place.

I found a John Ede in 1841 and 1851 with a wife Amelia who he married in 1813, but I think Amelia would have been his second wife.  The wife I'm looking for details of is Elizabeth but I cannot find the marriage. 

( I found a marriage recorded in of a John Ede to an Amelia Wheeler on 12 July 1813,  at St Peter's, Brighton, Sussex. )

A Sarah Ede daughter of a John and Elizabeth Ede was born around 1807. Is there a burial recorded of an Elizabeth Ede in Wivelsfield between 1807 and 1813?

Johns 1841 explains the areas;
1841 at Lunces in Wivelsfield, Sussex (Lunces might have been a farm I think)
 John Eade abt 1786  Sussex, 55, Gardener 
 Amelia Eade abt 1786  Sussex, 55
/ Sarah Waller abt 1816  Sussex, 25
 John Palmer abt 1811  Sussex, 30, Ag Lab
//
Registration district: Chailey, Sub registration district: Ditchling 
Civil Parish: Wivelsfield;

Penny
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 April 09 05:13 BST (UK) »
Philip Clark  born 1733    Rye     Buried Rye St Mary Churchyard May 31 1806 aged 73
  Thank you  I don't think Ancestry has PR going back this far    LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 06:34 BST (UK) »
OK I am off so please no more requests.
Will hopefully be back with answers this evening.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well I am afraid that I didn't really have a lot of luck with your requests !

Stovepipe: - I couldn't find any records of the time period you mentioned, they stopped at 1812 same as your transcripts. :(

Richard:- There are no records of any Banns I am afraid.  :(

Kerry:- Nothing for Stephen Carly Oliver in Herstmonceux.  :(

Penny:-  (Request 1) Not a thing for anywhere you mentioned !!!!!!!! :(
Penny: - (Request 2) I can confirm the christening of Sarah Ede and I found another for a Mary Ede Jul 25th 1802 d Jno & Elizabeth; born 29 May 1802. No marriage record though.

Liz:- Records don't go back far enough that I could see.  :(

So not greatly successful !

Sean