Author Topic: JEROME photo studio Belfast  (Read 4321 times)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
JEROME photo studio Belfast
« on: Friday 18 February 05 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any informaton on Jerome  photographers in Belfast
When they started?
Are they still there (can not find them)?
How to tell the age of a picture?
Etc etc etc
Any ideas?
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Corsend

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: JEROME photo studio Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 05 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I found the following information useful:

Dating Early Photographs

Cartes de Visite

These were introduced in England in 1858 and, although their heyday was in the 1860s they continued to be popular until the end of the century.  The paper picture, normally an albumen print, measured about 3½” x 2¼” and was pasted on a photographer’s trade card to give a finished size of about 4” x 2½”.

Cabinet Prints

These were introduced in 1866 as a larger form of the cartes de visite.  The paper print was about 4” x 5½” and the finished article about 4½” x 6½”.  Again albumen prints were the most common.

Albumen Prints

The albumen print, which caused a huge consumption of egg whites, is smooth surfaced and slightly glossy.  It was very fragile and easily creased which is why it was invariably pasted onto card (see above).  Its natural colour is sepia but there is a yellowish tone which became very pronounced as the print faded.

Carbon Prints

This was used for better quality cartes and cabinets as is had strong, rich colours and a good gradation of tone.  As well as sepia, these were produced in black, blue, green, and chalk red colours.  When viewed at an angle the images appear to have a slight relief, as if painted on.

Postcards

British picture postcards are not earlier than September 1894.  The common 5½” x 3½” size dates from November 1899. Smaller cards of 5¼” x 3¼” or the 4½” x 3½” court card are likely to date from the second half of the 1890s.
The divided back was not authorised in Britain until 1902 and then only for inland use.  It was not until 1907 that divided postcards could be used for overseas.
Stamped cards obviously carry a stamp of the appropriate monarch.  Queen Victoria (up to 1901), Edward VII (1901-1910) and George V (1910 onwards).  The inland postal rate for postcards was ½d before 3rd June 1918.  From then until 12th June 1921 it was 1d,  It then rose to 1½d but dropped again on 24th May 1922 to 1d.

Information taken from Dating Old Photographs by Robert Pols, published by Countryside Books in association with The Federation of Family History Societies

Mike
PAYNE, SKINNER, WAGNER London & Home Counties
Anything related to Hartpury, Glos.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mike

You have given me more to think about now
Will look for the book to read up more information now.
It does seem that the photograph that I have is most probably pre 1900, which is good ,but brings more questions ,in who is it.
Many thanks again
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 05 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I think this one may be awkward to find. If you have been able to date the photograph that would be heplful. It looks to me as though there may be a possiblity that Jerome was a christian name put on to the pictures and the name in the Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory may appear as a surname with either the Christian name or a set of initials.

The 1884 directory mentions Photographic Galleries and refers the reader to Artists. There is no mention in that year's Directory of any photographers. W. A. Maguire's " A Century in Focus " Photography and Photographers in the North of Ireland 1839 - 1939 pub. 2000 Blackstaff Press and Museums and Galleries of Northern Ireland (Ulster Museum).

Steve, as this photographer worked in Belfast it might be better to have all this info transferred to the CO. Antrim site. I nearly missed finding it after I had posted this message

Chris

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 05 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I recommend you check out the following webpages:

http://www.acay.com.au/~gsm/DatingPhotos.html

http://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/

If you are able to post a picture of your photograph, it would help us to help you to pin a date on it.

Prue

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
That's a great idea Prue. I'm surprised no one suggested it earlier. Keep going with the good ideas. Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 05 19:43 BST (UK) »
thanks Chris

The photgraph is doing the rounds in Belfast as we speak ...so iLL let you all know what I find out soon

steve

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Nearly four years late in replying, but better late than never!

Yes I think there was a Jerome Photographic Studio in North Street, Belfast and it was taken over in 1963 by Bennett's

If you have a look at the website www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Jerome_Studios.html you should be able to find out a bit more about Jerome's.

Hope I am not too late with this!

Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline bobbyinrhyl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
There was a Jeromes Ltd at Lower North Street in Belfast. That I know as I worked there from 1968 until they closed in about 1971 or so. I started as darkroom assistant straight from school  and six months later took over as darkroom manager which I kept until they closed down. I remember sending orders of prints over to other shops ie Blackpool,London etc which I was told they put in their windows as theirs?. I really enjoyed working there as it was a great place to work in and the staff were all friends. Bob.