Author Topic: Richard Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London  (Read 20161 times)

Offline madcap378

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 June 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just came across this site.
I have information about Bell and Black match makers.
Richard Bell is my ancestor.
Can give you information by PDF on info for our family tree.

Cheers
Neville Bell
Australia
Neville - are you able to contact me  pls- via here seeing that it is sometime since your comment was made. I am a descendant of the Joseph Rankins whom were with Richard Bell in 1851. I have been trying to prove forever that Richard and Samuel Alexander Bell are indeed brothers. Considering that Sam's nephews are via sisters Bell who married into the Haughton family there is every possibility but finding proof positive has been painful. Joseph Rankin senior's wife was known as Lucy or Ellen Bell - richards sister at least. So would really love to know more about the Bell family so that I can connect more of the dots.
Madeline

Offline madcap378

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 June 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Roxanne,
I feel certain that Richard Bell junior did not die in South Australia.

Offline gifford2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Am looking for info on the TAYLOR & Co match company at Mitcham Lane in Surrey, owned by David Taylor.
David's wife was Catherine Grimes daughter of George Grimes  a Cigar Light and Lucifer Manufacturer.
The grimes were living in GARRETT LANE in 1841 - 1862 where the BELLS were living. (In 1851 The grimes were living in 'Bells Cottage', and his father Bethel Brimes a chemical worker living in 'Bells Villa'.

Before 1900 TAYLOR match was sold to  R. BELL who in turn sold to MASTERS (the ship) who later sold out to BRYANT & MAY

I had contact from someone some years ago who gave me this info - said his/her cousin John Taylor had  the old formula books and also a factory inspectors report. Was also told that a gentleman called by someone called Sid Gwyn-Smith, who was writing a series of short booklets about the Victorian match industy and was asking for details of the firm.

I wish I could remember who gave me this info....hopefully they will see this on here  ;D

Offline gifford2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 July 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Just to add that young George Bell was in business with George Charles Grimes but dissolved in 1858. George was son of another George Grimes 1811-1862, a manufacturer of cigar or pipe lights, lucifer matches, and vestas.
His daughter (George Charles's sister born in Bells cottages) Catherine married David Taylor of Taylor Match company.
Gone very quiet on this thread!!!

Offline gifford2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Alexander Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 July 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
I believe so. George Grimes of Garrett Lane and Bells Cottage/villa dissolved a partnership with George Bell in 1858.

Hello,

I am still trying to uncover information on the early Bell match factories in London.  I know that a Richard Bell founded a factory in Wandsworth in 1832, but I have also found that a Samuel Alexander Bell opened a match factory on Bow Lane as Samuel Alexander Bell & Co. in 1848 and in 1849 the name was changed to Bell & Black.  I am trying to determine if this Samuel was a brother of Richard.  I do know that Richard did have a brother born about 1811 in Ireland.  I am hoping that someone might be able to review the 1851 and/or 1861 census records to inform me of Samuel's age, place of birth, occupation, address so that I might be able to confirm a relationship.

I also know of a George Bell who was trading as George Bell & Co. on High Street in Battersea as makers of congreves & fusees in 1860.  I am curious to know if there is a George Bell in the 1861 and 1871 census who I might be able to connect to Richard Bell who did have a son George born about 1832.

I would appreciate anyone's help in trying to connect all these men to the early days of match manufacturing.

Thank you in advance,

Karen