Author Topic: Richard Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London  (Read 20095 times)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 09 16:31 BST (UK) »

I would love to hear from anyone who has any insight into the name of Bell connected with match manufacturing.  Thank you in advance.

Karen

if you are interested, you can buy onw of their matchboxes on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bryant-&-May-1900s-Scottish-Bluebell-R.Bell-152-x-70mm._W0QQitemZ390041742537QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090404?IMSfp=TL090404126003r33930
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 April 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I think the "fuse manufacturer" is probably "fuzee manufacturer" as a fuzee is a type of match made in the 1800s. 

Karen

I am happier now as I had thought it was just an incorrect spelling of fuse or a piece of very ornate writing. The word ends with double "e".

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 April 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
and in case you were not aware, Hackney has a good selection of materials in its archive
R Bell & Co Ltd:
directors meeting minutes 1991-63; general meeting minutes 1888-163; shareholders list 1890; members register etc 1923-63; share certificates and transfer documents 1955-63; memo and articles of association 1887; corporate documents 1887, 1923; ledgers 1913, 1947-64; patent documents 1885, 1911; price list 1880s

Bell & Black Match Co Ltd
: rough directors and general meeting minutes 1876-81; corporate papers 1881-83; memo and articles of association 1876, 1881; annual report and accounts 1881-83; general ledger 1876-81; balance sheets and accounts 1882-84; bank books 1876-80; patent trademark and design documents 1870-84; contracts book 1877-81; production and sales reports and correspondence 1883-184l; stock list 1879; price lists 1878-79, premises and plant inventories 1881

worth looking at Booths records too as he ended up founding a salvation army factory to give the workers better pay and conditions and resulting in the ban on white phosphorous

here http://www.hackney.gov.uk/c-archives-comprehensive-page11.htm
and an overview
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/TUmatchgirls.htm

if you put matches into the search facility here http://www.victorianlondon.org/ you will get a numer of interesting reports on wages and conditions
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Alexander Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am still trying to uncover information on the early Bell match factories in London.  I know that a Richard Bell founded a factory in Wandsworth in 1832, but I have also found that a Samuel Alexander Bell opened a match factory on Bow Lane as Samuel Alexander Bell & Co. in 1848 and in 1849 the name was changed to Bell & Black.  I am trying to determine if this Samuel was a brother of Richard.  I do know that Richard did have a brother born about 1811 in Ireland.  I am hoping that someone might be able to review the 1851 and/or 1861 census records to inform me of Samuel's age, place of birth, occupation, address so that I might be able to confirm a relationship.

I also know of a George Bell who was trading as George Bell & Co. on High Street in Battersea as makers of congreves & fusees in 1860.  I am curious to know if there is a George Bell in the 1861 and 1871 census who I might be able to connect to Richard Bell who did have a son George born about 1832.

I would appreciate anyone's help in trying to connect all these men to the early days of match manufacturing.

Thank you in advance,

Karen

Offline kiwi2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 11 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Just wondering if you had since found any information on Richard Bell?

I have a Samuel Alexander Bell b. 1796 in Dudalk, County Louth, Ireland.  Not sure if this is the Samuel you are looking for - but we were always told that the Bell family owned a match company, but thought that this was in Ireland. 

Susan

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 May 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
A Samuel and Richard Bell had premisies in Garrat Lane Wandsworth.
On the night of 17th Dec 1845 it went up in flames.
The same thing happened on  February 15, 1847

August 3, 1854 .
R Bell  lucifer match maker was charged with having large quantities of exposives and matches  at premises in Cannon St, West   ;D ;D ;D  thereby causing great danger to nearby residents.
Have sent a PM.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AussieGold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Alexander Bell - Lucifer Match Manufacturer London
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 July 11 03:31 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to uncover information on the early Bell match factories in London. 

FYI, I recently recovered what I believe is an old Bell & Black matchbox from the 'New Bendigo' gold fields near Tibooburra, NSW, Australia. Probably does not help your search but might be of interest anyway. See attached.

Offline AussieGold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 July 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
And this pic too...