Author Topic: Margaret, Isabella and William McKenzie of Nairn  (Read 5547 times)

Offline RuhaM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret, Isabella and William McKenzie of Nairn
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great great grandmother came to New Zealand with her husband of 2 years (Roderick Noble) and her 1 year old daughter in 1859.  Her life in NZ was not happy as I have discovered - although the story was not part of our 'family history'.  We have strong reason to believe from the circumstances of her death that she had epilepsy, the type that 'runs in families'   Therefore we have reason to believe that it would also have been present in other memebrs or ancestors or descendants in Scotland.  (I mention this as a hint that couild alert someone perhpas to make a link and therefore make contact)

Margaret was born in Nairnshire in 1829 - her parents were Isobel (sometimes referred to as Elizabeth) Cumming and John McKenzie.  It seems that either John McKenzie died in the early 1840's OR that the parents relationship didn't last for soe reason and that Isobel remarreid a man by the name of McDonald in the late 1840's and had 2 more children.

There is a strong link with an address called "Blairmore" in Cawdor in Nairnshire.  This is the address on her marriage certificate - also the address in the 1841 census of her parents and siblings is No 11 Blairmore.  In the 1851 census Margaret is listed as a 'servant' for the  farmer at "Blairmore.

In 1841 census Margt can be found at the age of 10 listed as 'servant' in the McDonald family in Nairn.  (Interesting as all the children of the McDonald family are essentially grown up at this time.  Interesting also as her mother renmarreid a man by the name of McDonald.

Margaret's sister Isabella death record can be found in NZ 1863 - in Dundein - burial record states that Isabella's husband Roderick Noble was the informant and that Isabella had been in Otago for only one year - which means she came out to NZ in 1861 or 1862

The ship that Margt and her husband came out on has listed a "Wm McKenzie" - also the informant for the birth certificate of Margarets 4th child Alexander was "William McKenzie, settler"

So it seems that at least 3 of the siblings came to NZ and settled in Otago - William settled in the Clutha district - somewhere near Warepa

The other siblings, as far as I can tell, were Christina (or Christian) born April 1831
John, born January 1836
David, born March 1838

If anyone can recognise anything in this story and / or  can point me toward any further information or links about any of these people I would dearly love to hear from them.

Thanks
Borthwick - Central Otago, York, Durham, Midlothian
Moss - Rothwell and Hunslet - Leeds
Green - Queenstown, Gore, Wooton - Oxforshire
Noble - Warepa (Otago) - Nairnshire Scotland
Poole - Charleston (NZ) and Cumberland or Liverpool
Perry - Charleston Buller, Cumberland and Staffordshire
Anderson - Charlseton, Westport - and Shetland Islands