Author Topic: Warnock, East Kilbride  (Read 3606 times)

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warnock, East Kilbride
« on: Sunday 05 April 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone out there researched the Warnock Family who originated from East Kilbride? One of my anscestors was William Warnock born 7 Mar. 1757. He married an Ann Smith who was born in 1764. I know little about her. I am looking to confirm Williams anscestors, I think his parents were James Warnock who was married to a Mary Ritchie (Richie). I also believe James parents to be William Warnock who was married to Margaret Alexander but can anyone confirm this? Do you know where they were buried?

Would appeciate any help

Thanks

RobertD

Offline tigger_lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Warnock, East Kilbride
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

My 4x Great Grandmother was Agnes Warnock b24/9/1786 d 3/4/1861 daughter of William Warnock and Ann Smith.

I've come to the same conclusion that William's parents were James and Mary Ritchie (the Scotlands People record lists as Mary or Janet Ritchie.)

I'm not sure about James's parents,  I believe it could be William Warnock and Margaret Alexander or possibly James Warnock and Margaret Renwick.

Regards
Robert
THOMSON - Shotts, Allanton
DEANS - Lanarkshire, Bathgate, Armadale, Ireland, Ayrshire
PATERSON - Shotts, West Lothian, Midlothian
CAMERON - Motherwell, Kilmallie
WHITEHEAD - Dunblane
BRODIE - Whitburn, Stronsay
DICK - West Lothian
SEDGEWORTH/SIGSWORTH - Lanarkshire, Paisley, Durham
PARVIN/PARVEN - Yorkshire, Lanarkshire
SCOTT - Lanarkshire
GREENWELL - Armadale, Bathgate
HUNTER - Armadale, Bathgate
LISTER - Fife, West Lothian
GRAHAM - Polmont
ROBERTSON - Polmont

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Robert

Thanks for replying. William was my 4 x Great Grandfather. My line descends from James (dob 29 Jul. 1789) who was Agnes's younger brother. Do you know where William and his wife Ann Smith are buried or when they died? I know little about them although I would presume they were farmers (most Warnocks are/were).

Cheers

RobertD

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly small world!!!

My 5x great grandmother was Margaret Warnock who married John Christie.  Her parents were James Warnock and Mary Ritchie!

Neat meeting you both!

Jessie

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I realise  that Tigerlass posted this thread way back in 2009.
Part of my family ancestry originates in EK and 2 sisters of my gggg grandfather both married and became Mrs Warnock.
Although both husbands were born in EK , they were definitely not brothers.

One of the sisters married James Warnock who was  definitely the son of William Warnock and Ann Smith.

from Tiger-Lass
"I've come to the same conclusion that William's parents were James and Mary Ritchie (the Scotlands People record lists as Mary or Janet Ritchie.)"

I have not researched James, his parents or his siblings but, although he had many children, including  1st son named William and  2nd daughter named Ann, none of his daughters were called Mary.
2 however, were named Janet.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I have John Warnock (1845-1931), son of John Warnock and Janet Wallace, baptised in East Kilbride on 14 April 1845. He married my first cousin 3 times removed, Agnes Scott (1839/40-1872), in EK in 1865, and had four children. In 1873 he married again. His second wife was Isabella Nicol Elder, born 1840 in Drainie, daughter of Alexander Elder and Isabella Nicol. They had five children.

This is a century or so later than the people discussed above, but I'm interested in exchanging notes with any descendants of Agnes Scott and John Warnock.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dougal381

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 17 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian
I’m new to RootsChat but I’ve been researching the Scotts, Ritchies, Gibbs and Warnocks, amongst others for about 7 years. I’m sure you know that we’re all swimming around in a rather shallow pool when it comes to family info older than 1840.
Very briefly my line is -
Around 1725 William Warnock and Margaret Alexander married. They had a son James (b 1726) who married Mary Ritchie. James and Mary had a son William Warnock (b 1757) who married Ann Smith (b 1764). Their daughter Ann Warnock (1796-1873) married Robert Steven (1792-1876) and they produced Agnes Steven (1820-1910) who married Alexander Scott (1817-1891). Are you paying attention!?
Anyway many of those generations seem to have farmed in the Hamilton and East Kilbride area.
Back to Alexander and Agnes - their daughter Ann Warnock Scott (1851-1897) is my great grandmother. She married John Ritchie (1844-1926) and my maternal grandfather is Peter Grant Scott Ritchie (1881-1962).
I could go on but I’ll let you decide how much may be of interest to you.
Please drop me a line if you’d like to know more.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Steven (1820-1910) who married Alexander Scott (1817-1891). Are you paying attention!?
Of course!

My direct line is Scotts from East Kilbride.
John Scott married Mary Lindsay in EK in 1764.
Their son William married Margaret Craig in EK in 1796.
Their son Alexander married Margaret Aitkenhead in EK in 1837.
Their son Alexander married Elizabeth Wilkie in Airdrie in 1874.
Their son Alexander was my grandfather.

I am not related to any Warnocks older than the family of John Warnock (1845-1931) and Agnes Scott (1839/40- 1872) so I have not studied the earlier generations of Warnocks.

I see from the 1881 census that your Alexander Scott was allegedly born in 'Mattuch', Banffshire. I assume that this is Mortlach, and I note that Alexander, son of Peter Scott and Margaret Grant, was baptised in Mortlach on 15 January 1817. In which case your Alexander is not related to my Scotts either.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Has anyone else done DNA testing???  Would be interesting to see if any of us have matches with each other!

Jessie