Author Topic: Warnock, East Kilbride  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Dougal381

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warnock, East Kilbride
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 April 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Jessiboo

I remain very sceptical about the accuracy and value of DNA testing but I’ve no problem sharing mine.
The Asian connection is a very long shot while the rest is very predictable. 
Regards
Doug

Offline AnniElin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
jessiboo - it's an even smaller world! John Christie and Margaret Warnock are my 4xG grandparents, through their daughter Margaret Christie, born 1781 who married a William Jackson. I have noted Margaret Warnock's parents as Robert Warnock and Elizabeth Pollock, but I have no dates for them, so am more than willing to be corrected.

I had been reading an article in an old magazine by the late philosopher Mary Warnock, and decided to follow up my longstanding curiosity as to whether there was any connection with my Warnocks,especially as my father also had a training in philosophy. Turns out Mary Warnock was born Mary Wilson, but her husband Geoffrey James Warnock (1923-1995) was another philosopher, whose father James Warnock, however, was a GP born in Northern Ireland. So there I am stuck for the time being, unless anyone has a distant cousin who moved to Northern Ireland.

My father's paternal ancestors were all farmers from East Kilbride, Glassford and neighbouring parishes - he was a Watt.

Ann

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I have Thomas Watt, hand loom weaver, and Anne Waddell, whose family were all born in Maxwellton, East Kilbride:
Susanna, born 18 February 1790, married Andrew Paterson, died before 1851
Anne, 23 August 1794, married John Pomphrey, died 6 December 1881
William, 27 March 1802
Thomas, 17 February 1804, married Janet Burns, died 14 October 1865.
Allan, 5 September 1806.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AnniElin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 March 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »
This rings a vague bell, I know my great-grandfather William Watt and his father John Watt at one time gained some property in Maxwellton. The circumstances were unclear, but it seemed to involve one William Montgomery giving it to them in return for which they were to look after his wife after his death. My great grandfather was a boy of about 10 at the time, so it seemed that perhaps William Montgomery had married a much younger wife in later life. So I did look into the houses at Maxwellton a bit and I think Thomas Watt came into it somewhere. I'll try and find the notes I have about it.

John and William Watt were farmers but they just rented their farms from possibly the Earls of Eglinton. So it was very odd that they also owned property. A professional genealogist whom I discussed it with also thought it was a very odd situation.

I also have the sister of that John Watt, Janet Watt(1788-1875), marrying Alexander Aitkenhead (1784/5-1856) who is described as a provision merchant in Glasgow, and they had at least one son, named Thomas. Alexander's parents were another Alexander Aitkenhead and Agnes Young.

John Watt also had a brother Thomas Watt(1792-1879) who married Janet Reid(1792/3-1860) who was the sister of John Watt's own wife, Agnes Reid(1790-1876) - yes, it was two brothers marrying two sisters!

As the father of John, Janet and Thomas was called Allan Watt (maried to Mary Naismith), as you might expect, the eldest son of both John and Thomas was called Allan. So I suspect your Thomas Watt in Maxwellton was some kind of cousin.

I'll try and find my notes about Thomas Watt weaver in Maxwellton. The Sasine records in the Scottish Archives were very informative.

Ann