Author Topic: Whitburn Durham request  (Read 14135 times)

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Whitburn Durham request
« on: Monday 06 April 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

Does anybody have the parish records for Whitburn, Durham?? I have the ancestry world package and they are not part of the parish collections. IGI lists the people I am interested in but I need a location for the father if one exsists.

I've read that Whitburn records only list the males in the registers but IGI has a name for the mother??

I'm looking for information on William Wilkinson given wife on IGI is Isabella.  I'd like to know where William was native of. I know he had a daughter Ann Wilkinson in St Andrews, Newcastle christening 08 Apr 1781. I'd also like to figure out Isabella's surname. There is an Isabella Robinson who married a William Wilkinson at whitburn but the marriage took place after the birth of Ann in Newcastle.

John

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Whitburn Durham request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

The baptism for Ann on IGI only gives father William, not her mother's name

however in the same batch number there is a baptism for a John Wilkinson,
Born 1 Jul 1789      bapt 20 Sep 1789      St Andrew Par Reg And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland  (same place as Ann)
parents William WILKINSON  and Isabella

What makes you think William and Isabella married at Whitburn?

IGI has a possible marriage for the above parents
William WILKINSON  to  Isable THOMPSON    
   2 Feb 1772   Saint Andrew, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland

You may be able to find more information on the free site looking through the bishops' transcripts:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/05mf/

Barbara  :)

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara

Thankyou for taking a look.

I have noticed the William Wilkinson and Isabella Thompson marriage before.

I don't know where they were married. I was just pointing out there was a William and Isabella who married in Whitburn. The census proves the relationship between the daughter born Newcastle and her siblings in Whitburn. I don't have the parish registers for St Andrews, Newcastle so I looked through the Bishop transcripts on family search. It wasn't much help because all it has is the date name and daughter of William Wilkinson. It doesn't list her as illegitamate so I assumed the marriage in Witburn would be incorrect. No other details were given apart from William was a Master Mariner.

I will take a look at the entry for John Wilkinson you mention to see if it gives me any more clues. Thankyou. I know the siblings born Whitburn are also part of this family but the Whitburn BT's are not online that I can see? They are not included in the parish records on ancestry either. I posted on thinking somebody might have a CD or book on Whitburn that would maybe provide me with the clues of William's birth place.

Thankyou again. I will take a look at the link you have provided.

John

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Thats the same family search pilot website I have been using for viewing the BT's. It's a great website but it doesn't list Whitburn and the parish records for St Andrews, Newcastle in the BT's are not very informative.

John

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
William Wilkinson married Isabella Robinson St. Mary's Whitburn 1st May 1782.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »

There is an Isabella Robinson who married a William Wilkinson at whitburn but the marriage took place after the birth of Ann in Newcastle.

Hi Stan,

I think that will be the marriage John was referring to

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan

I was wondering if anybody has laid eyes on the parish records of Whitburn before? I notice there are CD's and books for sale online. Will the parish records of Whitburn give location information of parents?? O.T.P or native of/address?

I'd hate to purchase these books and CD's if they only have the same information as IGI and the BT's online.

John

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
durhamrecordsonline has  St. Mary's, Whitburn marriages 1813 - 1837 - too late for you I'm afraid.

Durham records office has the parish registers:
http://nd.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/dro.nsf/vallparishes/whitburn+st.+mary

Barbara

Offline jwilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
I know I noticed that.

I'm driving through durham and Northumberland in a few weeks. I've been told the records office is closed weekends though??

John