Author Topic: Adolphus Brignall conjuror  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Jonnus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adolphus Brignall conjuror
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

I know his isn't an help but as a Brignall myself, I am related to Brignall's born in Wittersham but then my side moved to the Romney Marsh area. I would also be interested to know if there is a link to London as this is where I live now.
Brignall, Terry, Wood (Lydd) Anders, Burton, Wenman, Winch, Woodward (Kent) Cripps (Essex) Woodward (Devon) Penlena (Cornwall)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonnus, I don't know of a link from the Kent Brignells to London, all I know is that one of my ancestors William Brignell, of a Cambridgeshire family was born in London in 1825, and that Adolphus Brignell, definitely a Kent Brignell appeared in the 1881 census in a street in Cambridge, Cambridge Place which was heavily populated with Brignells. Despite getting back into the late 18th century, see previous postings I have so far been unable to connect the 2 lines. Was it just coincidence? Frankly I don't believe in them! Thanks for replying.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 April 09 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Could your James and Rachel Brignell be the following:

Banns St. Peter, Duxford
March 23 1777
James Brignell of Hinxton
Rachel Knights otp (married 30 March)

Marriage St. John, Duxford
March 30 1777
James Brygnell bac of Hinxton
Rachel Knights otp
Wits John Cowling and Fras Patten

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 April 09 17:25 BST (UK) »
That's them Selina, Thanks again.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 April 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
OK will pm Willis stuff later and a suggestion re Sarah Moule.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 April 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Selina, will look out for it.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 April 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Entering the information onto the data base, I think I cracked that one Lizdb, Charles was staying with his grandmother, Hannah Fuller.

Offline clairetje88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 July 13 20:20 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this thread was finished my husband Charles is the gr grandson of Adolphus BRIGNALL.
On his grandmother's two marriage certificates he is described as a musician (she was Bessie Naomi BRIGNALL and she first married William Bertram TOOVEY in 1918 and after she was widowed she married Charles LOCK in 1924).
Adolphus BRIGNALL in the 1851 Census was described as a "grifted son" of John BRIGNALL and his wife Ann. She had first been married to James BOURNE(R) and had two sons: James and Adolphus.
I haven't been able to find him in the 1861 Census, but in 1871 he turns up in Norwich, Norfolk.
He married his wife Ellen DYSON in 1876 in King's Lynn, Norfolk and after being in Cambrisgeshire in 1881, they settled in Clare, Suffolk. On the Census Returns he is invariably a magician or public conjuror.
They had 6 daughters and one son, who also became a magician and lived in Birmingham.
If anyone else has info about him please let us know!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this thread was finished my husband Charles is the gr grandson of Adolphus BRIGNALL.
On his grandmother's two marriage certificates he is described as a musician (she was Bessie Naomi BRIGNALL and she first married William Bertram TOOVEY in 1918 and after she was widowed she married Charles LOCK in 1924).
Adolphus BRIGNALL in the 1851 Census was described as a "grifted son" of John BRIGNALL and his wife Ann. She had first been married to James BOURNE(R) and had two sons: James and Adolphus.
I haven't been able to find him in the 1861 Census, but in 1871 he turns up in Norwich, Norfolk.
He married his wife Ellen DYSON in 1876 in King's Lynn, Norfolk and after being in Cambrisgeshire in 1881, they settled in Clare, Suffolk. On the Census Returns he is invariably a magician or public conjuror.
They had 6 daughters and one son, who also became a magician and lived in Birmingham.
If anyone else has info about him please let us know!
Many thanks for this Claire.This thread is certainly not dead or closed; moribund yes until you re-activated it. The problems I have with Adolphus are that he seems to have been born in Kent, but suddenly appears in Cambridge Place (a street full of Brignells including my maternal grandmother. He appeared out of nowhere into this street in I think it was the 1881 census. A little too co-incidental for my liking.Further problems are the family move from Cambridge to Kent and apparently back again in his generation, Also the fact there are 2 John Brignells born 1783 and 1793 respecively. Despite their birthplaces showing as Cambs and Kent is it possible they are the same person.