Author Topic: MALCOLM, John Frederick  (Read 10585 times)

Offline gayenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MALCOLM, John Frederick
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 April 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
Great to meet you.

John Alexander was my gr grandfather via his marriage to Mabel Oertel.

I have been following your offline emails with Anita and we were very excited to find a descendant of Blanche as we knew nothing about her. Great to have those photographs - thank you.

On Sunday night I was finally updating my tree with all the data we have collated and came across the link between your email to Anita and then a recent one from John telling me he had met a Jean (nee Malcolm) in Kloof. The newspaper articles she gave John have been faithfully documented.

But my question to you is Jean made a comment to John that her father, who she described as the "black sheep" of the family, was JAM's brother.

I am now thouroughly confused so could you please tell me how you all fit in ie children / grandchildren etc of Blanche and Henry down?

Regards
Gaye

Offline JohnMalcolm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your message, its great to have contact with another relative. Like Gaye, I am also confused. The lady we met in Natal was Jeanne. I met her only very briefly and my wife, Monika, saw more of her while Jeanne was working at our local pharmacy in Kloof. We are now back in Johannesburg.

Monika is adamant that Jeanne said her maiden name was Malcolm and said that my father would have been her first cousin. My father was Wallace Oertel Malcolm, son of John Alexander Malcolm (JAM) and Mabel (nee Oertel), JAM's second wife. JAM was therefore my grandfather and his sister, Blanch Malcolm, would have been my great aunt. If Jeanne is your sister I cannot figure out how her maiden name could have been Malcolm. If her maiden name was Malcolm she would have to have descended from a male Malcolm or have my wife and I misunderstood? I guess we will get it unravelled but what is clear is that you and I are cousins (2nd cousins? I'm never sure quite how the numbering works).

Cheers,

John

Offline brian6d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaye,

what a pleasant surprise to see so many comments about Malcolm family.  But I was always aware that the Oertel family is huge!  Evelyn Cox (née Oertel) was my grandmother.  Where can I get a translated copy of "Die Punt van die Swaard"?
Cheers  ...  Brian

Offline gayenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 November 12 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian - I have replied off line re the translation.
However you have opened a can of worms as I am sure all the Oertel's are keen on the Oertel / Cox line as not much is know.
Look forward to see how it develops.
Cheers
Gaye

Offline Great granchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:30 BST (UK) »
Good day

we are interested in following up on the Malcolm family tree, my husband's grandmother was one of Jack and Mabel Malcolm's daughters - Eileen.

Best regards
Anne Rowe

Offline Great granchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Good day

we are interested in following up on the Malcolm family tree, my husband's grandmother was one of Jack and Mabel Malcolm's daughters - Eileen.

Best regards
Anne Rowe

Offline Sueton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
I presume your husbands father was Malcolm William Rowe the son of Eileen Mavis Malcolm and Albert Rowe whose dates we do not have. My husband is the Grandson of Blanche Marie Malcolm the sister of John (Jack) Alexander George Malcolm.
We are in touch with a few of the family through Roots chat.

Regards.
Susan Rogers

Offline Great granchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Susan for replying - we would love to know more about Jack Malcolm's family history!

And yes my husband is the youngest son of Malcolm Rowe.

Best regards

Offline gayenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, I am Jean Malcolm's gran daughter. My mum is Ann and I now live in Brisbane.
I met up with Michael a few years back in Chch when he was first starting down the Family History track. I assume you are Dominic's wife?
Anne, happy to bombard you with data as much as you want / can cope with but preferably off line. It has been amazing who has been turning up via these posts.
Can you send me your email via private message please?
Cheers
Gaye