Author Topic: Francis Bidden ALLISON 1792  (Read 4367 times)

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Bidden ALLISON 1792
« on: Thursday 09 April 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find birth and marriage details for Francis Bidden ALLISON born 1792 according to the 1841 census.  He was married to Mary RIX who was from Boston, Lincolnshire born 1796ish according to the 1851 census.
Both the census are from Suffolk.

Francis Bidden ALLISON was an Officer of Inland Revenue according to the census and his daughter's marriage certificate.  He seems to have died in 1848 in Wickham Market, Suffolk and there is a headstone at All Saints Church saying he was the son of James ALLISON.

I have looked through FreeREG and haven't been able to find him.  I did find a Phillis born 5 Jul 1785 to James ALLISON and the late Joanna BIDDEN.

Francis' last daughter was Marion Phillis Rix ALLISON and he had a son Albert Bidden ALLISON as well as another daughter Sophia Bidden ALLISON.

All very confusing! 

Thanks

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Bidden ALLISON 1792
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Francis Biddon Allison's baptism is on FreeReg too - shown as born and baptised 13/1/1792 Field Dalling, Norfolk, son of James Allison and Joanna Biddon. (I'm not sure the wording of Late Joanna Biddon, spinster means that she's dead although I agree it is confusing.  Think it's just stating who she was previously)

There is a tree on Ancestry for him and this shows his father as Revd. James Allison although no further details on him.

This tree also shows Mary Rix as wife although no full marriage date - just says 1822 Norfolk so I suspect never found .   Shows they had 6 children:
Sophia Bidden b.14/1/1820 d.12/7/1822 (no places given but presumably buried Lowestoft.)
Francis Bidden b.17/4/1821, bur.22/5/1821 St. Margaret, Lowestoft
Jessy Mary b.3/7/1822, bur.24/9/1822 St. Margaret, Lowestoft
Albert Bidden b.5/8/1823 Lowestoft, d.1903 Johannesburg, South Africa
John Thurlow b.1825 Norfolk, d.1889 PMBurg, S.A.
Marion Phyllis Rix b.1832 Southtown, Suffolk d.1902 Durban, S.A.

Tree also shows that Mary Allison (nee Rix) died 1861 PMBurg, S.A. so looks like after Francis died the surviving family all went to South Africa.

I've found a marriage on the IGI for a Francis Bidden Allison and as it is for the right time frame I feel sure it must be him.   This is an unusual name and I can't believe there were 2 of that name marrying at that time.   However, the marriage is to a Mary Pentin (not Rix) and shown as October 1820 at St. Botolph, Aldgate, London.   As Mary Rix would be around 30 at this time I wonder if she was a widow when she married Francis i.e. Mary Pentin.   His job could have taken him to London where he met Mary.

Hope this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:33 BST (UK) »

I shall follow up your leads.
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
I found a baptism for Francis Bidden ALLISON in FreeReg 13 Jan 1792.  :)
His father was James Jempson ALLISON (b 1753) and his mother Joanna BIDDEN (b 1752) and they married in 1779 all in Norfolk.

Thanks
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Francis Bidden ALLISON promised to marry Maria POLE on 18 Aug 1814 in Swaffam, Norfolk.  They had a daughter Eliza ALLISON baptized 20 Nov 1814 to single woman Maria Poole in Houghton, Norfolk. 
Francis Bidden ALLISON then married Mary PENTIN in London on 20 Oct 1820.  They had 9 children only 3 of whom lived to adulthood.
I have put this information here to correct the myth that Francis Bidden ALLISON's wife was Mary RIX.  As per the marriage  and some of the childrens' baptisms his wife was Mary PENTIN who was buried at the Commercial Road Cemetery in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa on 14 Jan 1861 aged 71.

B

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox