Author Topic: Robert and Christina Armit, Kirkwall  (Read 17143 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Robert and Christina Armit, Kirkwall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I thought I'd got more than I could have hoped for finding out about Robert and Christina and their family but I started digging ... just out of curiosity you understand ;) ... and found a link right here, almost literally, on my doorstep for them.

Robert's father, John Watson Armit hailed from Polduff near St Andrews in Fife (where I am) and was the Church of Scotland minister of Westray, Orkney for 37 years but is actually buried here in the Cathdral burial ground.  His father Robert and Grandfather John owned the Polduff Estate for many years.

The Revd John is mentioned in the Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ
, New Edition, Volume VII by Hew Scott D.D. in the
Synods of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Glenelg, Orkney and Shetland, The Church in England, Ireland and Overseas.
Westray, or The Lady Kirk of Westray, and The Cross Kirk of Westray.
Westray [Presb. of North Isles]
1805  John Armit of Polduff, Fife b.1767 son of – A of Polduff, educated at Grammar School and University of St Andrews; licen. by that Presb. 31st August, 1796; ord. (assistant) to preceding min. 19th Nov 1804; adm. min. of this parish 19th July 1805; died at Polduff 12th Oct. 1841.  He marr. 5th Aug 1806, Jean (died 25th May 1838), daugh. of Spence Oliphant, min of Largo, and had issue – Robert, farmer, Weyland, Kirkwall born 12th June 1810, died at Kirkwall; a daugh. (marr. John Bruce, Kirkwall), died about 1870; Fotheringham, born 5th May 1808; Catherine Spence, born 13th July 1818; John Oliphant, born 17th April 1821; Christian Rankin, born 2nd July 1823.  Publication – Account of the Parish (New Stat. Acc., XV)

St Andrews University Register 1747-1897 by Robert N Smart
Armit, John:  Student United College 1782/83 [  ] 1783/84 Log.; Lat. Prov. 1784/85 Lat. Prov.; Gk. Prov.; Ethics 1786/87 N.Phil. (Ternar)
Student St Mary’s College 1787/88 1790/91
Alexander Yeaman bursar 1787.
Born  1767 son of John Armit, tenant Blebo ? baptised 1.1.1769 son of John Armit, Ceres and Jean Pride.
Licensed by St Andrews presbytery 1796. Minister at Westray 1805-12.10.1841 (died at Polduff)
(SM400/3/30; FES; MI St Andrews Cathedral b.g.)

Moumental Inscriptions (pre 1855) in East Fife by John Fowler Mitchell C.I.E. and Sheila Mitchell – produced for the Scottish Genealogy Society, 1771
St Andrews Cathedral
556 (TS) John Armit late tenant Blebo 15.12.1745  59, chn Euphemia, Elisabeth & John bd. here, Robt. A. esq of Winchester, Polduff 26.3.1819  85; late Robt. A. esq of Polduff, da Agnes 10.6.1865  86; rev. John A. for 37y minister Westray, Orkney 12.10.1841  74, da Christina Rankin A 28.10.1874  51; David A. esq of Polduff w, Barbara Berry 3.6.1871  83  (Fasti vii 278)

His wife's father was also a minister and he too is mentioned in the Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ for theSynods of Fife and of Angus and Mearns.
Largo.
1777  Spence Oliphant, born 30th Dec., 1753, son of Michael O., Bogward; educated at Univ. of St Andrews; licensed by Presbytery of St Andrews 11th Dec., 1776; pres. by James Durham of Largo 16th Jan., and ord. 6th Aug. 1777; died 8th March 1822.  He marr. 14th Sept., 1778, Fotheringham (died 21st May 1822), daugh. of James Duddingston of St Fort, and had issue – Margaret, born 7th Aug., 1779; James, lieut. R.N., born 7th Aug., 1782, died 2nd June 1810; Jean, born 16th Nov. 1783 (marr. 5th Aug., 1806, John Armit, min. of Westray); William Durham, born 29th March 1786; Elizabeth, born 15th Oct., 1788 (marr. 10th Sept., 1817, Robert Pringle, collector of Customs, Orkney; Anne, born 21st Dec., 1790; Christian, born 8th Feb., 1796; Christian, birn 17th Jan., 1797; Stephen, born 13th, and died 27th June 1800.  Publication – Account of the Parish (Sinclair’s Stat. Acc., iv.). – [Tombst.; Woods East Neuk, 177.]

St Andrews University Register 1747-1897 by Robert N Smart
Oliphant, Spence:  Student United College 1770/71 – 1772/73 b,s,t. (Ternar).
Poor student of merit – part bursary, 1771. Seat at bursar table, 1772.
Student St Mary’s College 1774/75 – 1775/76.
Born 30.12.1753 son of Michael Oliphant, Bogward and Jean Duncan.  Licensed by St Andrews presbytery 1776. Minister of Largo 1777 – 8.3.1882 (died).
(UC 400:26.11.1771, 8.2.1772, 4.11.1772; FES)

I've even managed to get copies of the Matriculation Registers for both John and Spence from the University of St Andrews so, you see, there's lots of information out there if you just care to look for it!

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oliphantsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Christina Armit, Kirkwall
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Chiad,

I came across your posts in the course of browsing and noticed your interest in the family of Robert Armit the husband of your great great grandaunt. I am related to Robert as his grandfather Spence Oliphant was my 6 x great granduncle. I would be glad to hear from you. I also noticed that you got the matriculation records for Spence Oliphant and his son in law John Watson Armit and wondered if you could either tell me how you got them or whether I could have a copy? I look forward to hearing from you one way or another.

Best Wishes

Simon

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon

This is a post that has grown arms and legs since I started it :)   I've sent you a PM so we can explore our connection further.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline vanetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 April 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
hi i am a direct descendant of robert and christina armit, kirkwall my great grand father was john oliphant armit who's grandfather was the reverand john armit of kirkwall in orkney. when my great grandad came to canda he came with three other brothers, david who settled in winnipeg area, alexander  and one other brother. we know one of the brothers went on to australia and the other i am not quite sure. we also are directly related to the armits in saskatchewan. my dad visited some relatives there in or around the 1970s and he met one who was a watchmaker and made a watch which he called "armitron". i would be interested in any information concerning these armits and which descendant the are from. i would also like to get any information on the australia armits. i have also heard mention of a diary that belonged to the minister john armit and would love to get more information on that.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 April 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Vanetta

Thanks for picking up on this.  I thought the post was long dead and buried ... just like many of our ancestors :D

I am a 1st Cousin 3 times removed of John Oliphant Armit and you'll have gathered from the information here that I have a mountain of information, thanks to other 'cousins', and I'd be happy to share it with you including details from the diary that MUST be accredited if you use any part of it - even for personal use.

I will send you a PM with my email so you can get in touch with me.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline vanetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 April 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
glad you answered my message i would love to have anything you can send me on your ancestry and the diary. i emailed you earlier with a little bit of information, when i get the rest together i will send more as it is obvious we are cousins a few times removed. i can send you pictures and names of my family if you would like. i do have a few pictures of my great grandparents but you probably have those, i can send copies of those too if you want them. thanks for responding so quickly, it is nice to meet other relatives. vanetta

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 September 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
We're a' Jock Tamson's Bairns.... ::)

Not really a surprise to find this thread, but a happy one none-the-less...

Christian Pearson is my Gt (x3) Aunt on my Mothers side, her elder sister Agnes being my Gt (x3) Grandmother. So it's been magic being able to fill in all the blanks from your info...

Rather spookily though, your mention of Spence Oliphant got me digging a bit...seems this "branch" also exists on my Fathers side, through the Douglas's....

Interconnected or what...???

Dougie.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline dogsandcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Born - Aberdeen, Scotland. Moved to Canada in 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I too am searching the Armits. However, I have John Armit marrying Euphan Thomson in 1789 in Fife. So far I cannot discover whether this is the same John Armit who marries Jean Oliphant. Timing-wise, it is possible because all the children born to a John and Euphan Armit in Fife are born before those born to John and Jean in Orkney. I would love to know if that diary could help clear up the mystery. I also have Laing in my tree.
Kathy
Anderson, Armit, Baird, Black, Booth, Clark [N. Ireland], Collie, Corbert, Donaldson, Duncan, Euart, Ferguson, Fleming [N. Ireland], Forbes, Fyfe, Gibson, Gill, Johnston, Laing, Lobban, Lumsden, Mackie, Marshall, Martin, McIntosh, McKenzie/ Kydon, McLeod, McRobb, Milner, Neilson, Paterson, Pride, Rennie, Ritchie, Simpson, Slater, Smith [N. Ireland], Stephen, Stewart, Thomson,
Troup. All in Scotland plus as noted.