Author Topic: Nat Langham 1820-1871  (Read 13615 times)

Offline bibi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nat Langham 1820-1871
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the wife and parents of Nat Langham from Hinckley. He was the Bare Knuckle Prize Street Fighting Champion of England.He went to Live in London and died in Brompton on 1/9/1871.He is buried in the Brompton Cemetary.
I am his grt grt grt g/daughter. any help in locating his wife and parents would be of great help . thank you. chrissy

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nat Langham 1820-1871
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 06 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy

Have you had any success in tracing Nat Langham.  His mother's name is Mary born around 1787 in Hinckley.   She is there on the 1851 census HO107/2082/255/25 with son Samuel and married daughter - Looms. 

Let me know if you have already found this as it is some time since you posted the question.
Marion

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
hi. Stephen Nathaniel Langham, father Nathaniel 1770 mother Mary 1787 have you got the @photo@ of him on boxing bill? not blood decendant, but he married in to the family. Know a lot from him down, on wifes side if interested
Willis--Polstead, Stoke & Colchester
Bones--Purleigh & Danbury
Humm--Woodham Mortimer & Great Henny
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Osborne---London & Sible Hedingham
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Wagstaff--Fingringhoe & Birch
Brewster--Writtle
Martin--Polstead
Chippington--Stoke
Gillham--Dartford, Poplar & Otford
Lawrence--Dartford

Offline polstead lady

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
hi. Stephen Nathaniel Langham, father Nathaniel 1770 mother Mary 1787 have you got the @photo@ of him on boxing bill? not blood decendant, but he married in to the family. Know a lot from him down, on wifes side if interested

Offline polstead lady

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
someone remove the email address please
who ever did many thanks

Offline FrankRC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 11 08:15 BST (UK) »
I joined today (22/7/2011) and am a great great grandson of Stephen Nathaniel Langham, Champion of the Middle Weights.  After he retired from boxing and became a licenced victualler, he married Elizabeth Watson on 10 Dec 1853 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster (one of the witnesses was Ben Caunt, heavyweight champion boxer & Elizabeth's uncle).  Elizabeth never appeared in any census records as Nat's wife because she died from peritonitus on 3 Oct 1860 at their home at Cambrian Stores, 12 Castle Street (now Charing Cross Road), Westminster.  Cambrian Stores was a "fighting house" as evidenced by Nat's letters in The Times e.g. on 9/5/1860 (see The Times Digital Archives).

Nat and Elizabeth had two sons (both died during childhood, as evidenced by the first grant of Letters of Administration re Nat's estate in 1872) and two daughters, Alice (my great grandmother, who had eight children) and Elizabeth (she had one child with an unnamed father and the child died at age 1; she married a widower when she was 30 but had no children with him).

Nat's marriage certificate showed his father as Nathaniel Langham, framework knitter, but his father was really unknown - Nat's mother, Mary Langham was unmarried, although she had four children, including Ann Langham (1812-1897); Ann had her first two children with no known father(s), her next two with widower Joseph Looms and finally two more with Thomas Coley.

Offline FrankRC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 11 08:28 BST (UK) »

As Nat is my great great grandfather, I would be interested to know more about his wife, Elizabeth Watson.  I know that her marriage certificate shows her father as William Watson, slater and that her mother was probably a Caunt; William's siblings alive in Feb 1872 were William (living in the USA), Richard, Alice Mary, Christiana & Mary (source: Letters of Administration re Nat Langham).  I have a picture of the boxing poster issued after Nat's death, showing him in boxing pose with his fight records listed underneath.

Offline FrankRC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy

I am a great grandson of Nat's daughter, Alice, and have posted information about Nat today.  How are you linked to him?

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank

I am assuming the RC stands for Romeo Calvetti ?

Willis
Willis--Polstead, Stoke & Colchester
Bones--Purleigh & Danbury
Humm--Woodham Mortimer & Great Henny
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Osborne---London & Sible Hedingham
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Wagstaff--Fingringhoe & Birch