Author Topic: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?  (Read 11709 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?
« on: Friday 10 April 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
I have found this IGI marriage from 1747 and was wondering if I can find out if the occupation of the groom is listed in the original document? Is there any way to find this out?
DRUMMOND, Alexander married 10 May 1747 in Abercorn, West Lothian to Christian STUART.
Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 April 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you can't get to Glasgow or Edinburgh, where you can view the record for free, it is likely to be available on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It will cost you 6 units (=£1.20)

It might not show his occupation.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 09 01:56 BST (UK) »
I have found this IGI marriage from 1747 and was wondering if I can find out if the occupation of the groom is listed in the original document? Is there any way to find this out?
DRUMMOND, Alexander married 10 May 1747 in Abercorn, West Lothian to Christian STUART.
Thank you.

Hi, lanarman.

This is a transcript of the entry in the Abercorn OPR - not a marriage but the banns:

May 10th 1797
Which day, Alexander Drummond &
Christian Stuart both in this parish desired
that their banns might be proclaimed on
Sabbath next.

So no occupation for Alexander, unfortunately, so I thought perhaps a baptism for a child might be more informative and had a look.  No baptisms on Abercorn in the next 10 years.  Reverted to IGI and found that they had decamped after their marriage to Linlithgow parish and there were 6 children listed for them.  These are the baptism entries:

Sabbath Feby. 14th 1748
Alexander Drummond & Christian Stewart A S.N. Alexr.
W. Sebastian Henderson & Robert Leslie b. this morning

Sabbath 10th November 1851
Alexander Drummond & Christian Stewart a D.N. Christian
W. John Morison, shoemaker & Robt. Calder  B. 6th curt.

This Christian died less than a year old - there is an entry in the Kirk Session accounts which records that "the best little mortcloth" was hired on "10 june 1752" at a cost of "£1.10.0" to bury "Christian Drummon daughter of Alexr. Drummon"

Sab. 10th Jun 1753
Alexr. Drummond, merchant & Christ. Stewart a S.N. John
W. James Henderson & Mathew Paterson  b. 1st curt.

Sab. 16th Febry. 1755
Alexr. Drummond, brewer & Christ. Stewart a D.N. Agnes
W. John Adam & Geo. Cleland  B. this day

Sab. March 16th 1760
Alexr. Drummond & Christian Stewart A D.N. Elizabeth
W. Alexander Spall? & Patrick Gray  B. 4th curt.

Sabbath  8 August 1762
Alexander Drummond and Christian Stewart  A D.N. Christian
W. Robert Cook & James Henderson  b. 28 July

So, 2 occupations for your interest - hope these help.

If you have any problem understanding the Session Clerk's shorthand give us a shout.

Regards,

mr-aitch

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello mr-aitch:
Thanks for this information- I hadn't dreamed that these details would be available. Now- unless Alex. Drummond moved to Glasgow and became a gardener, I doubt that this Alex. (brewer and merchant) is the same person whom I am looking for. And he would have another daughter born c. 1764 named MARY to be my ancestor. BUT my Mary Drummond did have a brother named JOHN so there may be hope for this yet. More research required!
Thanks again,
Michael

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 09 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hello mr-aitch:
Thanks for this information- I hadn't dreamed that these details would be available. Now- unless Alex. Drummond moved to Glasgow and became a gardener, I doubt that this Alex. (brewer and merchant) is the same person whom I am looking for. And he would have another daughter born c. 1764 named MARY to be my ancestor. BUT my Mary Drummond did have a brother named JOHN so there may be hope for this yet. More research required!
Thanks again,
Michael

Sorry it didn't work out , Michael - more work required indeed.

Good hunting,

mr-aitch

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

The only Mary Drummond bpt around  1764 with father Alexander that I can see on SP is:

12 August 1764, Comrie, Perthshire - Mary Drummond. Parents -  Alexr Drummond and Margaret McEwen

There is also this entry:

20 Feb 1755, Comrie, Perthshire - John Drummond. Parents - Alexr Drummond and Margaret McEwen

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:
Yes, I have seen these 2 births from Comrie. Here's the puzzle: I would like to find the "correct" Alex. Drummond and his wife's name to continue back in that line.
I have the following information:
UMPHERSTON, James, married 1785 to Mary DRUMMOND, lawful daughter to Alex. Drummond, gardener in Glasgow. Source- OPR Glasgow. The family settled in nearby Cambuslang, Lanarkshire. The 1807 List of Inhabitants of Cambuslang show this family and 3 households away is a John DRUMMOND married to Elizabeth BIRD. Perhaps a brother to Mary, but then, always dangerous to assume. The OPR's show a John Drummond, gardener, married to an Eliz. BIRD in Ochiltree, Ayrshire and I currently have some feedback from a lookup volunteer on the Ochiltree connection. Very few Drummonds in that area and no Alexander's. Doesnt look promising.
My next step hinges on the names of the first 4 children born to James Umpherston/Mary Drummond. They were, in order, Catherine, James, Christian and Alexander. There are no Margaret's (as in Margaret McEwen). James Umpherston was the son of JAMES U. and CATHERINE Matthie. Then, I "presume" that Mary Drummond's parents were ALEXANDER (verified) and CHRISTIAN. The only Alex. and Christian I can find come from Abercorn/Linlithgow in West Lothian. And they do have a son named John. BUT NO MARY.
So thats where I'm at now- running around in circles biting my tail!!   ;)  Not sure where to put my teeth into next.
Thanks for your comments/help.
Michael

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
In addition to this, I am confused as to just where LDS patron submissions to the IGI get their BMD's from?  Are they non conformist church records or are there Church of Scotland OPR registers missing and/or available somewhere else?  I have other members of my Scottish ancestors who were definitley born/married and had children in Scotland pre 1855 but they show up no where in the IGI or the OPR's.  Moderator- perhaps this is a better question for a general board somewhere?
Confused lanarman.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Patron submissions can be obtained from anywhere - that's the problem  :-\

There are a few threads about the IGI and submitted v extracted records.

I'll see if I can find some for you  :)

Gadget