Author Topic: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?  (Read 11707 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND STUART 1747 marriage occupation of groom?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Here's one of the threads that covers submitted entries:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,256122.0.html

All that I can suggest is that they should be verified against other records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:
Thanks for the comments and the thread link. I tend to agree with all the comments I have read that the OPR's are the most authentic and reliable sources, ie. the "primary" sources. But here's an example of my "confusing" sources:
LDS patron submissions (2) for birth of my GG Grandfather in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire- Mar. 2, 1824. Birth not found in the OPR's. Obit. says he was 68 yrs., 10 months, 20 days old when he died 22 Jan. 1894 (in Canada). This gives a birthdate of Mar. 2, 1825. Both his parents were baptized Church of Scotland and found in the OPR's. Unless an LDS patron found his actual baptism/birthdate in a Non-Conformist church in Cambuslang, where else could they come up with this exact date in 1824 (not 1825 as in the obit.) ? He was the only child in the family (as far as I know) and I cannot find his parents marriage, either. There was a non conformist church in Cambuslang/Glasgow at that time but the whereabouts/existence of their records is unknown to me. And perhaps the parents were not married and the child was not baptized? I doubt that.
I'm straying off topic here, sorry.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

My immediate reaction is that they did their sums wrong from the obituary that you've quoted. There were schisms in the C of Scotland but it's a bit iffy with that information.  What do the Canadian censuses give for his religion - if Presbyterian, it could be any of them  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 01:28 BST (UK) »
Always the obvious- right under my nose !  :-[
A couple of the online Canadian census listings (1851/71/81) show the son born c. 1824 to c. 1827. Religion- METHODIST. :o
Same for his parents! So- I can safely assume that the parents were married in a non conforming church and the son baptized there as well. Next step- where do I find these parish registers c. 1820-1825 for Cambuslang or Glasgow?
Thanks again, Gadget

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 April 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Alexander Drummond & Christian Stewart are my Great (5) grandparents.  His occupation, I've noted, is brewer.  They were married on 10 May 1747 at Abercorn.   I've a note that they had six children:

1.   Alexander Drummond born 14 February 1748
2.   Janet Drummond born 24 August 1749
3.   John Drummond born 1 June 1753
4.   Agnes Drummond born 16 February 1755
5.    (?? born 15 September 1757) and
6.   Elizabeth Drummond born 4 March 1760.

I have still to verify all this information, but it's a start.

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 April 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

I can verify that Alexander Drummond was a brewer because his daughter, Agnes, was my great (4) grandmother and I've a copy of her birth from OPR 668 Linlithgow stating his occupation as "brewer".

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 April 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi DiGi:
Its most likely that there is no Mary Drummond in your family so its brick wall time for me. On another note in this thread- I did find my GG Grandfather James' baptism in the OPR's in 1824 in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire. Church of Scotland. Not Methodist.
As for my GGGG Grandmother Mary Drummond, daughter of Alex. Drummond, gardener in Glasgow- I'm not sure where to search for her next.
Thanks again DiGi and everyone else who commented.

Offline Hudson_Muir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 04:47 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Drummond family in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire too c 1800-1820.

There are references to a register made c1807 by the parish minister of church attendees in Cambuslang. John Drummond and his wife Elizabeth Bird and 4 (unnamed) children are listed. There is a Mary Drummond nearby. The area both are living in is Sauchiebog. Sauchiebog was one of the poorest areas.

An observation is that there was a significant influx of people into Cambuslang in the first half of the 19th Century. Given there are no other Drummonds in any of the other districts of Cambuslang, I would be inclined to believe that the Drummonds were migrants to the Cambuslang area from other parts possibly Glasgow/Barony parish.

Around the same time my Bell family ancestors moved from Glasgow to Cambuslang. All this is to say I would look for leads in Glasgow, Barony etc., as opposed to Cambuslang.

Doug
Hudson - Yorkshire - before 1830
Chambers - Stirlingshire Scotland before 1850
Muir - Lanarkshire Scotland
Douglas - Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire before 1900

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
In addition to this, I am confused as to just where LDS patron submissions to the IGI get their BMD's from?  Are they non conformist church records or are there Church of Scotland OPR registers missing and/or available somewhere else?

IGI stands for International Genealogical Index and it doesn't contain any records at all, in spite of their terminology. It is an INDEX, no more, and every piece of information there is secondary information. It is a fantastically useful resource for locating records, but not to be relied on as autoritative.

You have to click on each listing and look at the detail. Many of the 'patron submissions' and the 'community contributed' listings are duplicates or near-duplicates of the 'community indexed' ones.

My rule of thumb is that if it's 'community indexed' in the IGI then it's usually correct and can be used, with the intention of checking the original document to verify it in due course.

If it's 'community contributed' it's possibly correct, but has to be checked carefully against its original document. Some patron submissions are from excellent and well-documented genealogies but some are pure fantasy. (For a moment's amusement, see https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9S3D-KY4 and https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MR15-DNZ)

If it's 'patron submitted' it's not to be trusted unless and until I can track down the original document from which it was taken, and assess the reliability of that as a source.

There are records not included in the IGI, for example last time I looked the baptisms in the parish of Duffus in Moray between 1820 and 1854 are missing for some reason, and I have heard that in some parishes all the boys' baptisms are listed but not the girls', or vice versa.

In Scotland, the registers of some denominations other than the Church of Scotland are not included, or not completely included. Some churches will not give permission for their registers to be filed or indexed.

The only absolute certainty is that anything found in the IGI or any othe online index or genealogy must be treated as a finding aid only, and carefully checked for authenticity and accuracy.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.