Author Topic: Samuel Kilby-Isle Of Guernsey  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Kilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel Kilby-Isle Of Guernsey
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 03:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my Grand father who left the Isle of Guernsey around 1915 for America via Canada.  I Think he was born anytime between 1890 to 1900?  I wish I had more information and would appreciate any help I could get.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Kilby-Isle Of Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 05 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have had a look on the census for Guernsey and can only find the one Samuel Kilby in the 1891.

address Guernsey Arms

William Jehan, head, age 49, retired master mercantile marine and publican born Guersey St Saviours
Isabella Jehan, wife, age 49 born London
Samuel Kilby, grandson, age 7,scholar born London

RG12/4706
ed 1 folio 112 page 16
civil parish of St Martin, Guernsey

I dont have the full 1901 transcript but Samuel appears as an 18 year old barman in St Martins Guernsey.

I hope this may help in some way.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Kilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I am waiting for his birth certificate, in my effoort to figure out why he was living with his grand parents when he was 7 after being born in London.  I will try to look at the 1901 census.  I do not know when he left Guernsey, but he was in Minnesota, USA by 1910.

Do you how I might find for information on William Jehan, I can not find his birth information or census.  He was a master in the merchant marine, is there a database that may have service information?

Offline Kilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 05:42 GMT (UK) »
I can not find the Channell Islands 1901 census, Can you tell me if William and Isabella Jehan are on the census with Samuel?

I am looking for their death or marriage information as well.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 07:22 GMT (UK) »
The Channel Island 1901 census is available at

www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk

there is a search facility that is free but there is a fee to look at theimages.

Hope this helps

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean