Author Topic: ADDY/ADDEY, Esp. W/S Yorks, All dates  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Yorkshirerose66

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ADDY/ADDEY, Esp. W/S Yorks, All dates
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Am interested in ADDY or ADDEY surname - especially those with connections to Knottingley/Pontefract in West Yorkshire.  Have around 200 names in my tree.

Shelly
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Addy/Addey, Agar, Tate, Heald, Hobman, Battle, Cawood, Thompson, Wilkes, Lucas, Evans, Foskette/Foxcotte/Foscott (Mainly Yorkshire, Staffordshire & Buckinghamshire)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: ADDY/ADDEY, Esp. W/S Yorks, All dates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelley

I have a Sarah Addey in my tree. If I have counted correctly, she is my GGGG grandmother, married to Richard Wilson (b. 1753). One of her grandsons was named George Addey Wilson (born Wakefield). I haven't managed to find out anything about her, though, but I haven't tried very hard because more recent ancestors are of higher priority right now.

I don't know anything much about the other Addeys (although there might be a tiny snippet in my GG grandfather's memoirs) but I do know a fair bit about Sarah's Wilson descendants.

Peter
Wilson (Wakefield, Yorkshire)
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
I have created a Facebook Group for Addy researchers researching mainly in South West Yorkshire.
Please join us there, I have a huge collection of Addy records for this area.
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
I have   Addy in my tree but only because my paternal Great Grandmother re- married after being widowed.
The Addy family she married into was from Pockleton.Yorks
The first name of my step G.Grandad was Dobson.
If of any interest let me know and I will get the details.
There were two children of the first marriage,a son who took the surname  Addy and a daughter who would not and she  kept her blood father`s surname of Wright.
                                                  Viktoria.

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Yes Dobson is a relation to me :)
What would you liken to know?
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,I have quite a bit but am curious to know why Dobson described himself as unmarried when he was on a lighter boat off the East coast,and my G Granny was named as Esther Johnson at the same census when her name was Eliza Addy.
However,living with Eliza(Esther)was Dobson`s sister,but not her husband .He was with his parents.
This was in Manchester,Dobson`s sister`s  husband died shortly after and there was a baby involved.
I have not looked at these documents for over a year as I moved house and they are accessible but just not had time.
Dobson and Eliza (nee Cole- first husband Wright)married in Nottingham as I remember.
There must be a good reason why the sister was not with her husband when he was so ill..
But as  Dobson`s sister was  with" Esther" it has to be Eliza calling herself Esther and declaring herself a widow but gave her correct place of birth ie Pinchbeck Fen.
Do you know the cause of death of Dobson`s brother in law,and what about the baby?
I suspended research when I was packing to move,must pick it up again.
I will P.M you .  Viktoria.

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria, I just checked my messages and we were in contact many years ago about Dobson :)
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon