Author Topic: CAWOOD  (Read 10709 times)

Offline yorkierose

• RootsChat Member
  • "I come from a long line of dead people"
    • View Profile
CAWOOD
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Researching CAWOOD family name.  Looking for connections with Leeds, West Yorkshire pre 1810.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br />Addy/Addey, Agar, Tate, Heald, Hobman, Battle, Cawood, Thompson, Wilkes, Lucas, Evans, Foskette/Foxcotte/Foscott (Mainly Yorkshire, Staffordshire & Buckinghamshire)

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CAWOOD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
I have a Caroline Cawood (b. 1821) who married Joseph Hebblethwaite (b. Leeds, 1816) in Leeds (if I remember rightly) on 10 Oct 1841.  She was the daughter of John Cawood (stone mason) and I think her mother might have been called Eliza.  Joseph was the son of Jeremiah (1782-1825), a cloth draper, and his wife, Rachel Archer.  Caroline and Joseph went on to have at least three children, Thomas Ellis, Benjamin and William H. Hebblethwaite.  I'd be very interested in any further information you might have. 
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline yorkierose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 05 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dizzy, thanks for getting in touch.  The furthest back I've gone is to a John Hinchcliff/Hinchliffe Cawood born about 1810 Leeds.  There appears to be a couple of possibilities for his father = one a Robert Cawood (wife Sarah) and the other, which we think is more likely, another John Cawood.  He had a son John born 2 Nov 1809 and baptised 21 Jan 1810 St Peters, Leeds.  John H Cawood married Mary Rossiton at Rothwell Parish Church in 1831 and the family lived in the Hunslet/Wortley & Holbeck areas of South Leeds.  John's occuptation was Joiner, although many of the family worked in the cloth mills as cloth dressers, spinners and weavers etc.  John H Cawood was my husbands 3 x great grandfather.   John and Mary had seven children, Martha, Joshua, Hannah, Thomas, Emma, John & Mary.  I would love to try and go back another generation if possible.

Michelle
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br />Addy/Addey, Agar, Tate, Heald, Hobman, Battle, Cawood, Thompson, Wilkes, Lucas, Evans, Foskette/Foxcotte/Foscott (Mainly Yorkshire, Staffordshire & Buckinghamshire)

Offline Tisy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Were you aware that there were Cawoods amongst the "1820 Settlers" who migrated to South Africa in 1820?
They settled in the Eastern Cape.  I you would like more detailed particulars, let me know.

Cheers,

Tisy

Offline yorkierose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
In response to Tisy....I believe the Cawood descendants that migrated in South Africa have origins in Otley, WRY.  I have not as yet managed to find a link with this branch of Cawoods, but if I ever get any further back, you never know!

Offline starlight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have a Hannah Cawood from Otley in my tree .  She was born about 1859 and married Richard Bush.  Her parents were Hartley Cawood 1822-1900 and Jane Barker.  Harley's parents were John Cawood 1785-1865 from Otley married to Hannah Hartley 1793-1860.  I have John's parents as Jonathan, 1747 again from Otley.  Do you think there might be a connection? A lot of my family on this side were also involved with spinning, weaving or the printing industry. :)

Offline yorkierose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
I haven't found a direct link yet between my husband's ancestors and those from Otley (of which there are many!).   I'm afraid I've hit a brick wall and got no further back than John Hinchliff Cawood c.1810 who was my husband's 3x great grandfather and who lived in Hunslet/Holbeck area of Leeds.  The Otley branch however do have descendants who link into our family tree distantly elsewhere and maybe if I get further back with our branch I may find a link.

Offline starlight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 May 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi - yes there are certainly a lot of Otley Cawoods.  My family connection is the Bush family so they are a bit distant - the Bush who married into the Cawood family is a brother of my direct line person.

cheers,

J :)

Offline Asterby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 July 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
I have a Hannah Cawood from Otley in my tree .  She was born about 1859 and married Richard Bush.  Her parents were Hartley Cawood 1822-1900 and Jane Barker.  Harley's parents were John Cawood 1785-1865 from Otley married to Hannah Hartley 1793-1860.  I have John's parents as Jonathan, 1747 again from Otley.  Do you think there might be a connection? A lot of my family on this side were also involved with spinning, weaving or the printing industry. :)
     Richard Bush and Hannah Cawood from Otley were my great grandparents. Their daughter Ellen was my grandmother. I was born and went to school in Otley but now live in Ireland. Have lots of information and photographs if you are interested