Author Topic: Dental/Surgical Instrument Maker  (Read 7554 times)

Offline finewa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dental/Surgical Instrument Maker
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 23:16 BST (UK) »
My Fraternal Grandfather is listed on the 1891 Census at age 14 as a Cutler Apprentice in EDN Scotland.
In 1898 he was married in EDN  and his occupation was a Surgical Intrument Maker on the Marriage Records in St. Andrews EDN.
The 1901 Census has him as Dental Instrument Maker.
I see that Cutlers are discribed as Knife Makers, Sword Makers and so on so I suppose that all fits in.
Is there anywhere that one could find records of Apprenticeships at that time in EDN?
He moved to Surrey England in 1935 and was an Instrument maker with BAC as I believe it was called at that time.
Thank you

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dental/Surgical Instrument Maker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the British Dental Association? May be they have an archive/library section.

http://www.bda-dentistry.org.uk/index.cfm

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi finewa,
My G. grandfather was also a dental instrument -maker &you are the first rootschatter I've come across who shares a search on the same lines.
I am in Australia so everything seems more complicated.  The rootschat group have been hugely helpful to me however.
I was very glad to see Jane's link to bda and I have immediately sent off an inquiry about my George James Parrett to see if they could suggest where he may have done his training in 1850's before commencing practise in 1860's
I hope they can advise.
I will watch for any results you might get.
Best of luck.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
You should try the archives of the Cutler's Company which are held at Guildhall Library.  Many of the City Companies controlled apprenticeships across most of the country.  The Cutlers have apprentice bindings up to 1848 and other records which go on to the end of the century.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 06 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you David.
I have found the Guildhall Library site and see they do offer a research service.  I will take this further after I have heard any suggestions from BDA.
  I appreciate your interest.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 02:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will lead anywhere...but..
The Royal College of Surgeons of England has a site with details of over 7000 historical surgical and dental instruments in its museum.They may be of help?
www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums/history/collections.html

Dawn
PS for those in aussie you can try for info via the australian dental association
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I now work within commissioning and contracting with Primary Care dentists although I am a pharmacist by profession. Although I immediately pointed you towards the BDA I will ask my colleagues within the Dental Profession where you should go.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
surgical instrument maker
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
hello.

I have a father and son who were both Surgical Instrument Makers also Scarificator Maker.
I would like to know whether this type of occupation was skilled/ unskilled. whether it was home based as opposed to a factory production line type occupation.

Thanks in anticipation................  Iain.

Moderator Comment: topics merged

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: surgical instrument maker
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 08 11:32 BST (UK) »
Surgical instruments normally demand high precision so they would certainly be called skilled workers rather than unskilled laborers.  Look up scarificator on Google.  The wiki for bloodletting shows a very complex mechanism.

Unlikely that this would be a home-based occ. but not completely out of the question.  Since you know where they were at the time, perhaps you can find an old online directory that would list instrument making establishments.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein