Author Topic: Dental/Surgical Instrument Maker  (Read 7552 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: surgical instrument maker
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 April 08 11:40 BST (UK) »
It was very much a skilled job which involved an apprenticeship.  The following site gives a more modern example

http://www.gowllandoptical.co.uk/ericjeans.htm

In London they were often members of the CutlersLivery Company.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 April 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks.

That was very helpfull and interesting.
perhaps i could look into this more and see if any trace remains re apprenticeship details.
mind you, father and son were both Thomas Brown which isn't the best name to look for in London.
i looked up 'Scarificator' and it looks like it would need a high degree of skill/training to make.
Although skilled i think it must still have been modestly paid.

Thanks
Iain

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 April 08 12:09 BST (UK) »
It is worth noting that the Barbers' livery Company was until 1745 the Barber-Surgeons' Livery Company recognising that blood letting and similar operations were carried out by barbers.

In the same way the instruments that they used were made by the same people, there being litle distinction between razors and sugical instruments. 

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 April 08 12:17 BST (UK) »
thanks.

my people were active in the late 1820's onwards.

Offline Vea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surgical Instrument Makers
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 April 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone knows if there was a guild or maybe an apprenticeship that would have covered the occupation of Surgical Instrument Makers - I have several members of the same family  listing this as their profession from around 1820 onwards.  The surname for this family group is Carpenter.

Vea

Moderator Comment: topics merged
Henry William Bailey
Cornelius Charles Carpenter
Eliza Reeves
Surgical instrument makers
Victorian London

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Dental/Surgical Instrument Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Although as I said above the Cutlers' Company is the main guild to look at you might also find something at the Clockmakers' Company.  They certainly had apprentices who made scientific and mathematical instruments and also spectacles.

If you are looking for someone in the Sheffield area then there were relevant local guilds and that is probably true of other major towns.  Most towns had a guildhall which held the details of local apprentices which in most cases will now be in the county record office.

David

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a father and son who were on census records as Brushmakers. On the son's marriage certificate in 1873, both father and son were listed as surgical instrument makers.
Can anyone shed some light on the link between the two occupations? And any ideas on resources to check for them other than the brushmakers society website, or trade directories?

The father was Peter DILLON born about 1829, and the son was Alexander DILLON born about 1854. They seem to have been primarily living in Durham, and then Lancashire.

Thanks, Katharine.

Offline Sprocker28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi 243rose

I know this an old thread but after finding your message within this thread about surgical instrument makers I am hoping you will get this response!

I too am researching a father and son both called Thomas Brown in London that are surgical instrument makers.

I wonder if you ever had any luck progressing this pair? They are proving to be rather challenging to find with their surname

I would appreciate any information very much!
Thanks
Sarah

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah. I can see that your message was intended for Rose. However, if you click on the blue name you will be able to see that the person has not been active on this website since sometime last year. So it is possible that they might not see it.
If they have it linked to their email address then they may get a message that someone has replied to their post, and log in. Fingers crossed for you. Katharine.