Author Topic: BIDDLE  (Read 11938 times)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BIDDLE
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Interested in hearing about any BIDDLE familes particularly in Cheshire, Lancashire, Middlesex, Surrey or London areas.

Unfortunately Biddle is one of those names the transcribers seem to have enjoyed mangling so it could also be BIDDELL, BITHELL, BYTHELL, BETTLE, BITTLE, BEDELL, BICKLE or BICKELL (amongst others)!

If you come across any would appreciate any info.

Many thanks
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wundamum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BIDDLE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

I have heaps of Biddles from Berkshire if you're interested. My direct line (Reading) goes back to about 1765.

There's also a large number of us in Queensland now!

You're right about the spelling. I've mainly found beedle and bidel once you go back to semi-literate clerics filling out the forms for them :)

Sally in Brisbane

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sally - my main problem is that John Biddle (sic) is down as being the father of my GG Grandmother living at 7 Upper Beckwith Street, Birkenhead, Cheshire in 1866

On the 1871 census it appears he is deceased (though I'm not 100% sure of this) & I cannot find a likely candidate on previous census as I have no idea of a birthplace!

It may very well be the case that he could be a Berkshire Biddle but until I can find a way of tracking down where he and his family came from I'm stuck! Hence the request for any info.

If you know of a John or Michael Biddle born in your line anywhere between 1800 and 1840 (ish) who disappears from the Berkshire area - please let me know!

Many thanks for replying  :)

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 09 08:12 BST (UK) »
I am a BIDDLE descendant of James and Mary BIDDLE of Langham,Rutland ENGLAND
married 1812
Their son,Zachariah John BIDDLE was born 26th December 1822 at Somerby Leicestershire England.

He went to Rome,Italy as a huntsman,livery keeper (servant )and married Emily Sarah ANSELL in Rome 1858.
 They had 4 children, Henry Gerald b.1859,John William Fyfe b.1862,Annie Eliza b.1863 and Caroline b.1868.
All children born in Rome
Zachariah John BIDDLE died in Rome 29th March,1872

His widow returned to London England and Henry Gerald BIDDLE came to Sydney Australia and married twice.

Henry Gerald BIDDLE was my great grandfather and he died in Sydney 19th May 1911.

As far as I know I am the only person researching this family and hope that others will come to light.
be happy to hear from any BIDDLE researchers please
Christine ...
nee BIDDLE
Turramurra  NSW AUS
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline paulbiddle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,my husband is a Biddle from Warrington Cheshire,his father was James,his father Aaron son of Moses Biddle Moses was the son of Richard and Brillhannah(great name eh!)Moses was a train driver born in Biston Staffordshire,residing in Crewe Cheshire most of his life before moving to Warrington.Is this info of any interest to you?

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your BIDDLE information
I am trying to piece together the BIDDLE connections from Leicestershire ,Rutland , Lincolnshire and other places in England (Not an easy task from Australia )!
However your contact will be useful in the jigsaw but as yet your husband's father, James Biddle and husband's grandfather,Moses Biddle, son of Richard Biddle has not appeared in any research I found or been given.

One just never knows with family history sometimes obscure sources of information just fit in
Please keep  the search going
I have other BIDDLE contacts and will send you a personal message about them as they may have your BIDDLE line

Christine
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline norma1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christine
I have details down to present generation of Henry Gerald BIDDLE
I think I might also have J W BIDDLE..
I will sort out what I have, and will arrange for items to be uploaded where possible.
I would appreciate it if I could possibly have your snail mail address and possible phone contact as I reside at Guildford NSW 
I am not up on using this chat progame as in 80 yrs old  and have to wait until daughters come to visit .
Norma Goodwin

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 09 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for BIDDLE information  Norma
VERY glad you contacted me I have sent you a personal message
but cannot find your telephone number in Phone Book

I would like to speak with you if possible

Christine
Turramurra

Online warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
BIDDLE
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 09 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Have just obtained part index of BDM in Victoria 1836 to 1920,Biddle entries on several pages.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex