Author Topic: St Mungo Cemetery  (Read 9689 times)

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Mungo Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have the original from 1851 census and it definitely says Arnott Hall, Lanark - bit of a mystery.   I will try to get to the Mitchell Library but don't think it will be anytime soon.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline Vince MacNeil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I found this reference in an obituary for a cousin of an ancestor of mine, "His father came from Glasgow, Scotland in 1802 and taking up land six miles of where the Boisdale church now stands, he called his home after the place of his birth, St. Mungo’s Englais Chu. (Beloved church). "  Would this church be near the graveyard you are discussing here? Would church records exist for this church? My ancestor's brother James MacNeil was supposed born there about 1798. There was a sister Catherine born about 1796. The younger children were born in Cape Breton.

Thanks, Vince MacNeil in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Offline ELMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Can you tell me where you got the St Mungo burial records from?

I'd like to find burial records for Charles Hanratty d 1926, Catherine Mary Hanratty d 1928 and Catherine Hanratty d 1930. They lived in Forestfield street and Dale Street.

Emma.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 June 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
 Very interesting reading all the information about St Mungo's Burial ground as I found a relative of mine was buried there in a common grave.She was Margaret Downie died 1834.I think it's very possible that I have more relatives buried there,McMillans and Mushetts.
  My McMillans were also weavers.My great grandad James,was a weaver,as was his father,Joseph and his grandad James.The younger James married a lady in Newtownards in Ireland.They lived in Glasgow from 1866-1873/4 but I guess when their eldest daughter died,aged 6 they went to Ireland where they had 6 children more.I imagine their daughter Margaret is buried somewhere in Glasgow as are other McMillans.
  I understand that the Carlton Burial ground has graves of many weavers,I know I have a Alexander Mushett and his wife Janet Hamilton buried there but probably without a headstone.

Offline sharon K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors has this on death certificate

In the Lair of 'The late Robert Aitken'

What does this mean precisely and would their be any other record?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors has this on death certificate
In the Lair of 'The late Robert Aitken'
What does this mean precisely and would their be any other record?
First, it tells me that whoever it was died between 1855 and 1860, because before 1855 there was no such thing as a death certificate, and after 1860 the place of burial is not included in the death certificate.

When cemeteries as opposed to kirkyards began to be provided, people would buy a lair. A lair is a grave large enough for one lot of coffins to be buried on top of one another. Sometimes people would buy two or even three lairs together, so their grave would have space for two or three lots of coffins.

So this means that Robert Aitken had bought the right for his family to be buried in a particular lair, and this person was buried in that lair. So it is reasonable to suppose that there was some connection between them.

Also, it means that Robert Aitken was already deceased before this person.

There would normally have been records of burials, which would list the names and dates of burial of everyone buried in the cemetery. I would expect such records, if they have survived, to be in the care of the City of Glasgow council. Start by looking in the catalogue at Glasgow City Archives https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/city-archives.

I have in my tree a Robert Aitken, builder, who lived in Glasgow and died on 31 August 1827. He was married twice; first to Agnes Clark and second to Jean Shanks. There were eight children of the first marriage, including a Robert, and six of the second marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sharon K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 23:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the quick reply.

on a burial record - charge for moving Gravestone 2 shillings Hearse & Carriage - 2 Horses & 2 Ushers - charge 10 shillings

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Glasgow's weavers were expected to hire the trade's mortcloth for burials & there were penalties for not doing so. Usually black velvet which was imported from the Low Countries & used to cover the coffin. In 1774 an agreement was made by the Weavers & the incorporations of the Tailors & the Wrights to amalgamate their stock of mortcloths, the co-partnery to last for 57 years. The practise, which had lasted from the 16th century, died out in the 19th century.

Skoosh. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Skoosh, that is fascinating!

So there is no point looking for weavers, wrights and tailors in the parish mortcloth accounts.

Could they also use the trades' mortcloths for members of their families, or were these mortcloths only for the actual tradesmen themselves?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.