Author Topic: The Mysterious Ernest Warren.  (Read 8693 times)

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mysterious Ernest Warren.
« on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
Sorry in advance!!! this might be a long explanation of a family "mystery", that I hope someone may be able to help with-- posted here as I have no idea which country to put it in, let alone county!
My greatgrandmother's favorite younger sister JULIA TUXWORTH, married a man called ERNEST EDWIN WARREN, in 1893 in Stepney. The family "story" is that Julia made rather a good marriage, as he became a Sea Captain (merchant navy), but that after they had had 3 daughters he "went walkabout" and disapered in Australia, leaving her and the children. But , there was more to this than simply a husband running off, that there was attached to his disappearance a huge scandal, that both his family and hers tried to hush-up.
Dying to know what this scandal was I have been trying to find out about Ernest-- the marriage cert gives his birth year as 1871, "Chief Officer on board ship", father James Warren, "Carriage Manufacturer".
I cannot find a James or Ernest Warren on any censuses etc. On the 1901, Julia was as married but living with her parents, 1911, again as married, visiting someone with one dau, the other 2 with relations.--Ernest is presumably at sea- but not found yet!
Here is my mystery that needs help--- trawling the web, I came across a reference to "a" Ernest Edwin Warren on the Newfoundland Grandbanks site--a letter from him written in 1916 in which he refers to a "Julia" and children, - but with a mysterious note attached to the posting that says the letter writer was a sea captain who, involved in undercover work after the 1st WW was "captured " by a gang in Australia, drugged, held in a mental asylum, was eventually rescued, and returned to London, where he died shortly after in 1925!! (his father having spent a lot of time and money to find him)The author of this post says this man was born in London, the son of a James Warren, but that James, his wife and other children were all born in NFLD,and that Ernest, although he died in London, was buried in Canada. -No one in my family has ever suggested "our" Ernest was of Canadian family---now I have found a reference to a retired sea captain called Ernest Edwin Warren in an Australian Newspaper of 1924, saying he was a prosecution witness against ,and victim of, a "gang" of fraudsters--who "Admitted" that he had "lost his memory". And , I have found a retired Captain,Mariner,of same name on incoming ships passenger lists in 1924.-travelling from Sydney.  It is possible that these are not all the same man- and maybe none of them are "my" Ernest at all!----So, has anyone come across any of this, or a man called Ernest Edward Warren in their researches?? And can anyone find him on a census anywhere?? Any thoughts Very gratefully received--sorry it was so long winded!!
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious Ernest Warren.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
HI Sally,

What a story!

There is a James Warren, carriage maker in the directories for Harbor Grace, NFLD in 1908.

This looks like the same James in the 1921 census for NFLD  :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/links/062h/

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Ernest Warren (and other Warrens) buried United Church Cemetery, Harbour Grace:
http://nl.canadagenweb.org/cbhg_hgmilitaryroadunited.htm

Lots of other Harbour Grace information on Genweb pages:
http://nl.canadagenweb.org/cb_index.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thank-you to both--The James Warren,coachmaker, fits wonderfully with my marriage certificate. But the buriel in 1925, although it fits with the story told by the poster of the letter i cannot tie-in for sure, as this may be the origin of making "Ernest -the -letter-writer" buried in canada in the first place, if you see what I mean! I am not sure why a couple born in Newfoundland and married there would have one child born in London, and all the others in NFL, or why they would take his body back for buriel if he died in London -especially as the father James Warren ( if it is the same one) was dead in 1921-  most odd! any thoughts??
Thank-you for taking an interest in this--I am sure my Ernest was not really invoved in "undercover work", or kidnapped by extortionists- wouldnt be surprised if his lost memory was a bit convenient!!actually I am not really certain he was a "captain" either----but I am determined to find out  if he was the same man as appears in the newspaper, and or NFL references.
Thank-you again!
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
In the letter he states that he is looking for "Percy", I think that it refers to his brother  according to the will of Elsie Goodwin, she was born in Nova Scotia where James was learning his trade.  There is a birth in 1873 in Annapolis Nova Scotia for Norman Piercy Warren, parents James & Annie.

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ItemView.aspx?ImageFile=1801-158&Event=birth&ID=3220

About, the burial, maybe he's buried in England, but they have made reference to him on the stone in NFLD and someone has assumed his body is in the grave?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
This might be Ernest:

Arrived in New York, 8 June 1919, SS Australind, sailed from London 5/24/19

Manifest of Aliens Employed on the Vessel as Crew

No card, Warren, Ernest E., supercargo, Shipped or Engaged – 5/20/19, London, age 50,  Whether to be paid off or discharged at port of arrival – No, race English, nationality British, height 5’ 9”, weight 200 lbs.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
IGI has records (submitted):
Ernest Edward Warren born 1871 Grace Harbour died 6 May 1925 and sister Elsie Katherine Warren born 1877 Harbour Grace married c1897 Whitman Smith Goodwin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
Just for a bit of information, Newfoundland did not become a part of Canada till 1949.  

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
A Google search for SS Australind brings up several hits including this painting of the ship:

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/4/5/doc/b45743.shtml

The Australind was apparently used as a troop ship during WWI.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis