Author Topic: The Mysterious Ernest Warren.  (Read 8689 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious Ernest Warren.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
LOL Sally

Perhaps a check at the cemetery in Harbor Grace could confirm if his body is actually there.

There is a rootschatter from NFLD and I have passed the link on to her in the event she can help.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Wee Bairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deid Rellie Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally,
I would imagine that being a sea captain Ernest's family may have had the funds to bring his body home from England for burial. Everything I have read says Ernest was buried in Harbour Grace. However it is also possible that the grave stone is mearly a memorial marker. The Newfoundland Historical Society gives this info for queries.
If you have a Newfoundland-related research question, Please contact the Centre for Newfoundland Studies http://www.library.mun.ca/forms/askalibrariannl.php

Hope this helps,
Wee
Looking for Haldane , Johnstone , Keir ,McLauchlan ,Queate , Walker ,Laurie ,Holmes ,McIlwee , Welsh ,Torrance ,Newport ,Rae ,Scott ,Clark ,Hill ,Millar , McMillan ,Dalziel ,Longmuir ,Wardrop , Grey , Young ,Frew , Main ,Cockburn , Ferguson ,Duncan ,Strachan , Stewart , Campbell copyrighted material from both © Crown copyright and copyright Scotland On Line Ltd.:  Genealogy, family history and family tree information  and Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 April 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for that, I shall try them.

And thank-you all again for your interest- as suggested I posted about this on the Australia board- truly great IDEA-- thank-you especially to Judith,  if any one here is not bored rigid with this story- it appears to be carrying on over in Australia.
Thanks again!! Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 April 09 03:06 BST (UK) »
Great Sally!

Please let us know once you get the death certificate, hopefully there might be a clue on it. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline mahergirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 September 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Wee Bairn- I got a message from you concerning my search for Mahers in Newfoundland.   Thank you.   I am trying to do a Maher Family Tree for my mom's 80th b'day coming up too soon.  Her gr grandparents were Patrick and Johanna Maher.   They were in Greenpond 1857 and guessing this was year they were married.  They had three children John, Amelia and Thomas - Thomas is my gr grandfather.  I think I found Johanna - died in Logy Bay in 1929 at 90 yrs old.  Then found her living with young couple John and Annie McGrath.  Johanna was grandmother to one of these two.   John was born in St. John's and Annie was born in Pouch cove. My email address is (*)     What part of NL are you from?   I visit NS and wondering where in NS you live.   Hoping to hear from you.  I do not come here often so please email me.  And info would be greatly appreciated.  Marilyn  Hayward (Bonavista Haywards)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline CalgaryNewf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 September 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi from Calgary

Ernest Edwin Warren was born in Harbour Grace 6 April 1871 to James S Warren and wife Annie nee Alcock.  My Martin roots are in Harbour Grace (we arrived from the Channel Islands circa 1450, a little before the official discovery, or so the oral tradition goes) and I link to the family of Ernest.  I do not know if you have resolved all of the issues on him but his three daughters were Elsie, Gwen and Freda in my records.

Geoff Martin

Offline jennifertuxworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 July 19 00:04 BST (UK) »
After a surprise bit of news yesterday from my father when he mentioned this name, I appear to have discovered part of my ancestry, something I never expected, or even looked for. I recognise many names mentioned in these emails as I am the grand-daughter of the Gwen(dolyn) mentioned.

This has all come as a bit of a shock, to say the very least.

Offline CalgaryNewf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 July 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
I can't post my e-mail here but if you go to the Newfoundland genealogy site http://ngb.chebucto.org/ and search for my name at the top of the page with the About tab there will be a drop down in the contributors list and there will be a connection for me there.  I can send you a photo of James Warren, the father of Ernest.  James was the brother of my g grandfather William Samuel Warren. 

In an extract from the 1924 obituary of William Samuel "Mr. Warren was born in Trinity 80 years ago, and served his apprenticeship with his father, one of the most famous shipbuilders in Newfoundland.  The Warrens in the shipbuilding industry of Newfoundland ranked with the famous Kearney, Newhooks, Rowes and others of their class, who put out of hand our famous ocean greyhounds."

Geoff Martin
Calgary, AB, Canada

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 July 19 06:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, both  :). What an interesting thread with recent developments!!

alunno-a has not been online since Tuesday 31 May 16 but should get an email telling her of the last 2 posts. When you have both made 3 posts [just reply to this thread acknowledging each other] you can exchange personal messages with your email addresses by clicking on the text icon under their name. But please do also enlighten us if new facts have come to light about Ernest [including the 1925 death certificate]. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON