Author Topic: DEMPSTER or CARNIE in Denny or Larbert  (Read 1972 times)

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
DEMPSTER or CARNIE in Denny or Larbert
« on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
My gt-gt grandmother, Isabella Dempster CAMPBELL was born in Haggs, Denny in 1823. Her marriage record also shows the middle name Carnie, but I have no idea where either of these middle names comes from.
 Is anyone researching the Dempster or Ca(i)rnie families of Denny/Larbert, who might be able to shed some light on a link between these families and the Campbells?
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DEMPSTER or CARNIE in Denny or Larbert
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi J,

How are you these days?  Haven't seen you around the boards very much.

There's a stone in Denny Old Parish Churchyard with the suname Carnie. The inscription is very worn and the following is the best I can make out.

To the memory of MARGARET CARNIE
Who died the XXV (25th) …………………..? Aged twenty  …? years
And of ELIZABETH CARNIE who died the X (10th) April ..??aged twenty seven years?
And of ROBERT CARNIE  who died the XVII (17th) July 1809 aged thirty years
And of THOMAS CARNIE who died XVII (17th) July 1811 aged 47 years

Anne

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I haven't been on here much lately; been on the Suffolk board a wee bit!
Thanks for these; I'll file them away in case something else turns up, you never know... :)

Janet
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline dadumc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
How interesting.  I have a Carnie John McKen born in born in Dunipace (1797) then moved to Denny.  Father Thomas McKen (McKean) is born in Larbert. 

I always wondered where the Carnie is from since no others use that name.
McKean/McKen
Sweeney/Sweeney
McCulloch
McComell

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
I did find out a bit more about that Carnie link; the minister in Denny at the time of my ancestor's birth was a John Dempster, and his wife's name was Isabella Carnie. So my ancestor was given the first name, and both surnames as middle names, I guess in honour of this couple, who perhaps were good to the family.

Rev. & Mrs Dempster's daughter Mary married another minister, John Fergusson, and some of their children also had Carnie as a middle name.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Kirkintilloch used to be called "Caurnie!" by the natives.

Skoosh.

Offline dadumc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 May 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  How interesting.  i assume my family must have known the minister or born in the town.  Unfortunately my line McKean (McKen) ends about that time.  Nothing else can be found.  I assume they were in Stirling, but nothing can be found.  Thanks for sharing.
McKean/McKen
Sweeney/Sweeney
McCulloch
McComell