Author Topic: Look-up please, Earsdon Marriage 1802  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up please, Earsdon Marriage 1802
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:00 BST (UK) »

In my experience in Anglican church records, I see abbreviations like
n of this parish, or notp or botp ( both of this parish) from within transcriptions, and not from the original record.

Another common one was " bhw"  ( by his wife)

I notice that Robert lived to get on the 1861 census ( 2783-108-49) and that a Lancashire enumerator managed to record both the place and county of his birth ( more often in those days only the " parish of birth" was recorded and not the " place of both")  HARTLEY !

The territory of Earsdon Parish comprised eight sub-divisions, called
" townships". HARTLEY  was one of the eight. The township area of Hartley included mainly Hartley village and Seaton Sluice village)

On 1801 census Hartley township area had 1839 residents.

Lord Delaval , lord of the local manor, owned several businesses in the area, including coal mines, a renowned glass works and harbour facilties.
And he used many engineers ( e.g. the local community where the River Seaton entered the sea was called Hartley Harbour until Delaval got his engineers to cut a second exit to the sea- then community got new name - Seaton Sluice)

More info about Seaton Sluice and Seaton Delaval ( another of Earsdon's townships) in web site  communities.northumberland.gov.uk

I notice that Robert gets listed as a "subterranean and civil engineer" and as a "land surveyor" in the Wigan section 1828/29 of the Pigot Trade Directory ( www.historicaldirectories.org )
Also a John Daglish, engineer.
and

Robert gets several listings in the Times ( of London) e.g. re a sale of a colliery in Flintshire ( edition of 17 Nov 1820)

So if Hartley is correctfor his birth place, then he would have been baptised at St Alban's, Earsdon parish church.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
I just looked up that baptism again.  Was in July 1803 according to my Herbert Maxwell Woods Collection transcript of the parish record (not the Bishop's transcripts) and it said Robert as the father.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
it said Robert as the father.

The Bishop's Transcript definitely says Richard - whoever did the transcription clearly didn't have their mind on the job in hand ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all for your input.  Robert had a brother John and a sister Ann, both in Lancs after c1800, both giving Hartley or Earsdon as their origin and born in the 1770s, but none has been found in Northumberland baps to date.  Their father, another John, was also in Lancs, but did not survive to the 1841 census.
Robert worked in the colliery, engineering [civil & mechanical] and surveying businesses and left a legacy of work, but no papers of worth have survived.  He built the first steam loco in Lancs as his major feat (1812/13) and crossed swords (metaphorically) with Geo Stephenson over the line of a railway at Bolton.
I have been to Seaton Sluice and Hartley but picked up no clues, sadly.
I have trawled newspapers and other archives over thirty or more years...  Still searching.
Others of the same surname, mainly from Co Durham and not so far linked,  have strong Methodist traditions, and I am wondering about my lot.  Any more thoughts or clues welcome.
Back on in 10 days or so.
Ainslie

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 23:38 BST (UK) »

Baptisms for Daglishs not traced !

So were they Methodists ?

John Wesley was fairly active in North East.

Robert/Margaret married in an Anglican in 1802.

Reason ??  they were Anglicans or were not Anglicans but married in Anglican church cos that's what the law of England/Wales decreed.

But that same law allowed non-Anglicans to baptise their children in their "own" church. But Robert/Margaret chose to baptise their child/children in an Anglican church. So it would seem they were Anglicans.

Just thinking aloud !

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.