Author Topic: White family Oxfordshire  (Read 2131 times)

Offline tricky tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
White family Oxfordshire
« on: Thursday 16 April 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
One of my 3 x great grand fathers James Chandos White,gives his place of birth as Tetsworth Oxford.his age gives year of birth abt.1821.On 1841 census he was living there with John White head of household,he gives his father as John White on marriage certificate,on 1851 census John White gives birth place as Chalgrove,also a Frederick White on 1841 census presumably younger brother of James.Family rumour has it that sons were given middle name Chandos,as there was a connection to the Lords Chandos,i assume this is the Bridges family who held the title

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: White family Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Can never resist a quick dig around the aristocracy, so wonder if you've come across this marriage (found on the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index 1538-1837):

12 OCT 1818 - John WHITE (of Wootton, Bucks.) to Elizabeth HARWOOD at Gt. Haseley

There are a few things which make this entry interesting (apart from the groom's name and likely date):

1)  Gt. Haseley parish is adjacent to both Tetsworth and Chalgrove.

2)  The Dukes of Buckingham & Chandos had their family seats at Stowe and
     Wootton in Bucks. (plus one in Hampshire).

Do you know the name of James's mother?

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline tricky tree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Pennie,in 1841 census,john was living with an Elizabeth,i assume was his wife,however i had research done at Tetsworth which found a burial for Mary White wife of John,another complication is that there are no bapt.for James Chandos White at Tetsworth,but a Chandos White son of John and Mary White was bapt.at Long Crendon Bucks 31 May 1822 and i have been told,that in the parish records,they given as from Tetsworth.I think John was son of William and Margaret White and was bapt.at Chalgrove 4 Mar.1789

Offline tricky tree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
Iv`e looked through the research i had done at Chalgrove and Tetsworth and there is a bapt.for a John Burtt White son of John and Mary 12 March 1820,this is probably the John White who is on census at Tetsworth down as a servant.Mary White wife of John bur.at Tetsworth 27 Jan.1835.I wonder if John Whites wife was Mary Burtt,does any one have a marriage for John White and Mary Burtt,or bapt.for a Mary Burtt in Chalgrove,or nearby

Offline paul9298

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
James Chandos White is also my 3rd grandfather. Seem to have hit the same barrier as you. Did you ever get to the bottom of this ?