Author Topic: Webb/Slackford - Gillingham  (Read 4849 times)

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Webb/Slackford - Gillingham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
I love it when a plan comes together Tati!!!!   ;D
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
Yes! And just to confirm that William Thomas was a Mariner ... here's his marriage cert to Sarah Ann:
http://tinyurl.com/5bffv5

:D
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dovecote.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 April 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Girls :) didn't think id get a result quite so quick youve been great.

I think im on the right track with george webb  think he's mothers surname was Clissold born in bristol then moved to camberwell

Well done

Moet

Offline Chrissy P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to RootsChat, and a friend had told me that they had seen your message re Charlotte Slackford. As someone wrote back to you suggesting - young William was indeed her brother - and also my great-grandfather! They had a few other siblings but, sadly no others made it into adult life. If you would like details of what I have found out about this family, please get in touch. Best wishes - Chrissy P.

Offline Christine Ramsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: william hoskings - Gillingham
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 May 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam and others.    I'm new and a bit lost!  However William Hoskings was my great grandfather and a master baker in Gillingham, kent.  Some of the names dont look like mine however.  He married Eliza Austin a cook.  I'll look more.  best wishes    Christine

Offline Christine Ramsay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 June 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all!  My reply to you has just vanished! so I'll try again!(I'm new!) I'm now Christine Ramsay but I was Christine Hoskings. 
(a) Sarah Ann Slackford (b1850) will be the daughter of William Thomas Slackford and Sarah Ann Hoskings (b1823) who had been married in 1849.  They lived in Ordnance Place.
(b) Going back - Sarah Ann Hoskings (b.1823) was the daughter of William Hoskings (b1798:d.1850) and Frances West. They had 6 children  including Sarah (b.1823) and William (b.1825) (Wm (b.1798)
(c)  William Hoskings (b.1825). married Eliza Austin and had 5 children including William John (b.1857) and Arthur Richard (b.1863).
(d) Here I branch off - Arthur Richard married Florence Ann Gambrill and had only one son Arthur Austin Hoskings (b.c1896).  He married Marion Robertson and had 2 daughters - Margaret Ann (b.1932 - 2000) who later married a Roy Radley and me Chridtine Mary Hoskings (1936!) and now Mrs Christine Ramsay (widdowed)
          There a lot of Williams and for 4 generations they were master bakers in Gillingham.  I have a copy of an interesting trade directory with an ad for Hoskings good bread and recommendation from Allinson.  (Apparently it was good for various unmentionable ailments!)
             I hope this has all helped someone!   Just tell me if I've got dates mixed.
     Best wishes  Christine.

Offline Terri H Ponty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
My father shares this name, and my son.  I didn't marry my son's father etc.  Anyway, there are lots of Hoskings family members in Glamorganshire, South Wales.  Hope this info helps :-)