Author Topic: Hawkins family of Bathurst NSW 1848-1861  (Read 10716 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkins family of Bathurst NSW 1848-1861
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Re farmer/carpenter leaving Bathurst during gold rush to go seafaring .... My Bathurst families were there long before gold fever swept the colony, and they stayed there.  I have not considered a study to see who went to sea as alternative to gold fever sufferings.....  But I have delayed answering until I had spoken with some others who have similar central west themes in their researchings....   Sorry, but it was not usual for anyone with carpentry skills to leave the district during these rushes.... this was a vital skill (cradles, sluices,  mine shaft supports, stores, assayers offices,).   As was any farmer (who could butcher to provide fresh meat)...  Hope this helps a little. 

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 22:37 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/71211142 Town & Country  10 Mar 1894.   This is the obit for the chap I would think may be "Felder, Bathurst" ..... Sir Wigram ALLEN's quartz mines in the Western Districts.... and FS FIELDER at Bathurst District Court in 1870s  :)

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/allen-sir-george-wigram-2877

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
NSW ER 1878 WEST MACQUARIE

H F HAWKINS of Main Camp, freehold at Main Camp
Thomas J HAWKINS of Walmer, freehold at Walmer

NSW ER 1870 WEST MACQUARIE
Edward HAWKINS, of Macquarie River, residence, Macquarie River
Thomas J HAWKINS of Walmer, freehold at Walmer

Cheers,  JM

Offline richardha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 March 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information: so if Fielder was the Registrar, 'Sent to Fielder Bathurst' may mean that the record was sent to the Bathurst Court Registrar to be filed, and perhaps the sentence was served at Bathurst Gaol as well.
Hawkins, Jones, Piper, Hughes

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 26 March 15 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Well, I am only speculating, but yes, it could well be so......  :)

Cheers,  JM