Author Topic: 2nd Regiment of Foot  (Read 5149 times)

Offline gembaker180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Regiment of Foot
« on: Friday 17 April 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me any information on this regiment?

I believe they were stationed at Raglan Barracks, Stoke Damerel, Devonport during the 1871 census, does anyone know the whereabout of them before this dat and up to 1881?

Thank you for your help

Gemma

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma

The 2nd Regiment had two battalions and a Depot. Men would join the Depot for training and then be transferred to whichever battalion had a need. They could be moved between battalions, and could be discharged directly from the battalion, or transferred back to the Depot for discharge. They would retain the same regimental number while they were in the 2nd Regiment, irrespective of which battalion they were in.

It was the 2nd Battalion that was in Devonport in 1871. The Depot was there as well.

The 1st Battalion had sailed to India in July 1866. The 2nd Battalion arrived back from Bermuda in November 1866.  In 1867 the 2nd Battalion was in Birr (Ireland), and the Depot was in Chatham.

The 2nd Bn (and Depot) were still in Devonport in 1872. In 1877 the 2nd Bn was in Aldershot and the Depot was in Guildford, which became its permanent home. In July 1877 the 2nd Bn sailed for Malta. By 1879 they were in Bengal. Both battalions were still in India at the start of 1883. So only the men serving in the Depot in Guildford would be recorded in the 1881 Census.

Before July 1881 they were also known as the Queen's Royal Regiment. After July 1881 they were called the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.

What age was your man in 1871?

Ken

Offline gembaker180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thank you for replying to my message

John Rowland was about 27 as he married on 26th feb 1871 in Stoke Damerel and his occupation just says Soldier unfortunately nothing else so its guess work....... I am only assuming that he would have been in 2nd Reg of foot?!? By 1881 he was no longer a soldier but now a labourer living in Camberwell, Surrey with his family.

The strange thing is he was not at the barracks itself but at 9 tamar wharf with his new wife Catherine but again his occupation says Soldier.

Was there any other regiments in Stoke Damerel at this time? (1871) that he could have been with.

Any ideas on where to go next would be great

Gemma

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma

There were three other regiments there in 1871:
= 2nd Bn of 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot;
= 1st Bn of 23rd (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot;
= 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot.

The 57th Regiment only had one battalion

To these you have to add Royal Marine Light Infantry and all the Corps – RA, RE, Hospital Corps etc – which are in most stations. There are no cavalry regiments listed there at least.

The reason I asked about his age is that most men were discharged between the age of 30 and 35, after completing 12 years in the army. So if his papers survive they will be filed in Kew in the section for men discharged between 1873 and 1882. If he was in the infantry you do not need to know his regiment, as they are all stored together in alphabetical order. However, there are other boxes for the RA etc.

If you cannot get to Kew Findmypast are putting them online (due 2011). If his papers have not survived you will need to visit Kew and look in the Muster Books, and for these you will need the regiment.

Was he at the same address for both the wedding and the 1871 Census? And do you know where were his children born, and when?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Ken

Offline gembaker180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Ken

Thank you for all the information you have given me

I did search all the other pages of the 1871 census for other men living outside of the barracks and there were some, but most of them did state Soldier (Marine) or RM Soldier, my relative just had the Soldier and nothing else!

I also tried to find him on the National archives but there was only one John Rowland who fitted in the covering dates, he was in the RMLI - i got the information and unfortunately it was not the right one.

Do you happen to know if all the records that are held at Kew are searchable on the national archives website?

Sadly the marriage certificate only says Stoke Damerel as the residence at the time of marriage.

Gemma

Offline gembaker180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 09 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Sorry forgot to answer the question about his children....

He had a daughter Elizabeth born in abt 1873 in Plymouth Devon and then he had a son Robert born in abt 1875 in Bermondsey, Surrey.

Gemma

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 09 18:44 BST (UK) »

Do you happen to know if all the records that are held at Kew are searchable on the national archives website?

That is what Findmypast are doing at the moment.

I take it the 2nd Regiment only comes from the fact that you found them in Devonport in the census?

Although he settled in Surrey - the same county as the 2nd Foot's Depot - Camberwell and Bermondsey are at the other end of the county to Guildford.

It was unususal for married men to live outside the barracks. And he could have been on furlough from any regiment in the country when he married. If you cannot get to Kew, or want to pay for a researcher, to look for his papers - with only a 50-60% chance of success - you will have to wait for Findmypast.

Have you got the BC of the daughter born in 1873? It would be worth £7 to find out if a regiment is given.

Ken

Offline gembaker180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
I have not sent off for the certificate as yet, there are two possible Elizabeth Rowland born abt 1873 so will have to try and work out which one is most likely to be her. the districts are either Tiverton or Totnes, hopefully will do this soon fingers crossed it will give me some more info!!!

Thanks so much for all your help Ken it is greatly appreciated

Gemma x

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
If you specify the parents name when you apply a failure will only cost you £3 or 4

ken