Author Topic: Thomas Beagley of Farringdon, Hampshire  (Read 4877 times)

Offline MGraham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Beagley of Farringdon, Hampshire
« on: Friday 17 April 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if Thomas Beagley the famous cricketer from Farringdon in Hampshire is buried in Farringdon, Hampshire. I know he died 21st Feb 1858 in Paddington but I wonder if he was buried in Farringdon with his wife Catherine who died in 1866. Maybe there is some memorial to him in his home village. If anyone has any information about the Beagley family it would be great to exchange information.
Thank you
Mel

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Beagley of Farringdon, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
Mel.                                                                                              

can you send me your email on a P.M please,
I have been looking through the Hull newspapers for you.I didn't find an orbit as yet,but i did find some nice info on the cricket sports page for 1853.Unfortunately the print is very small,as it was in those days.I enlarged the page,but there is a fault ::) It enlarges a different page.So i will have to send as is ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline JaneRH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 09 03:04 BST (UK) »
Tomas Beagley was not buried in Farringdon, according to the parish register. I know of no memorial to him here at all either. Below are some notes on the family. Yours Jane (Hurst)

18 September 1826   Cricket match - Alton v Alresford at Tichborne Down. ‘of Alton’ inc. John and Henry Beagley. Alton won. Return match to be on the Butts. (Hants Chron)

06 October 1828   Cricket match between Messrs Beagley of Farringdon and Messrs Collyer, Privett and Pullinger of New Alresford was played on Alton Butts. Spirited play for 2 days. Beagleys won. (Hants Chron)

Letter from Thomas Beagley of Farringdon, discussing the specification for new cottages to be built at Farringdon Park Farm, 22 Feb 1829. (HRO 39M89/E/B567/1)

1841   Farringdon census
Thomas Beagley, 50, bricklayer, with wife Catherine and children Charles, Eliza, Caroline.
Thomas Beagley, 80, victualler (Royal Oak), and wife Mary.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel
Have you looked into any cemeteries in/near Paddington  London where he died.Maybe he is there,It seems very strange Thomas has so little mention if he was well known.

Celia      P.S. His age at death was 68 years 139 days you couldn't get more precise than that could you ;D

According to your death date for Catherine his wife, she died 8 years after thomas.So that would mean she would/might be buried with him not the other way round.Have i got that right ???
or am i having a brain away day ;D
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Jive168

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
As far as I know he died a pauper so might not have a grave. I will ask in the family, he is my Gt gt gt gt grandfather!!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Mel,

I believe I am a descendant of Thomas, through his son Samuel. However, this was before his second marriage (to Catherine Forjonnel, a Frenchwoman). His wife then was Mary, although I cannot find a marriage certificate. Do you know anything of Thomas' first wife or his children?

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:45 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Are you sure that the Samuel you mention is the son of the Thomas that marries Catherine Forjonnel?

I ask because the transcription of their marriage in 1816 gives his age as 27 and a b for bachelor, I can't see an image of this so maybe someone else will be able to check this.

Marriage
BEAGLEY, Thomas, of Farringdon, bricklayer, 27, b., & Catherine FORJONNEL, of the s., 33, sp., at F., 02 Dec 1816.

This would fit with this baptism,

Thomas
Baptism Date:  9 Nov 1789
Farringdon, Southampton, England
Parents:   Stephen & Mary BEAGLEY

and this burial,

Thomas BEAGLEY: 
Burial Date:  01 Mar 1858
Burial Place:  All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green, Kensington

The Thomas and Mary BEAGLEY baptisms I can see in Farringdon are,

Benjamin      29 Jul 1804
Samuel         23 Mar 1806
Eliza             15 May 1808 
Daniel           09 May 1810
George         09 Aug 1812

This would make the Thomas that married Catherine only 14 when his first son was born to Mary. Not impossible I know but added to the fact that he says he is a bachelor in 1816 would make me question it.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
You may be right. However, it is a strange coincidence that Samuel too would become a bricklayer. Several websites cite the Thomas Beagley as being the father of Samuel. I'm not sure what to believe.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart