Author Topic: Camden St. Hulme, is there a photo?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Camden St. Hulme, is there a photo?
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a photograph of Camden St. Hulme, if there is one I would love to see it and  get a copy. :)

It was a small street  that was pulled down when Hulme was cleared. 1960's? The houses were small, and there was a coal yard on the street.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Camden St. Hulme, is there a photo?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for photos of Camden Street too but none are listed on MCR Library website where they have 1000`s of pics...as you say it was knocked down after the war...My Grandad was born at No 14 in 1906..................sorry couldn't be of more help....
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Pricey4848, maybe there is not much hope for us, but it was worth a try. You never know what little treasures people have tucked away. :)  If I ever get  a photo  I will let you know, and will be sure to get a copy to you.
My relative( my grandma) lived at no. 8.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline jiodjaly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
No photo I am afraid. However, I have potentially four relatives that lived on Camden Street and I wondered if anyone else had a connection to the same people.

My Great Grandfather Joseph Harry Egan lived at number 12 in 1899 along with his wife Lucy Carter. Annie Carter also lived at number 3 and may have been Lucy's sister. My grandfather was born at number 12 and his name was Joseph Harry Egan born at the address 18th February 1899

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 17 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks so much for that information.  My gran lived there ( number 8)probably from  about 1912 to  1952.   Nearly across the street was a coal yard . Her three children all went to St Wilfred's or as my mum called it  'Silly Willy's' ( not very respectful   :) )  but that was when my mum  was a child. At that time my gran was Mary Shaughnessy but her husband died and she remarried in 1918 to a wounded 1st World war soldier  she met at a hospital. The young man   was sent back  to the front after recovering from his wounds, and  he was killed a few weeks before the end of the war. So sad.  She was then Mary Cooper. She was killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street to go to a bakery.
Her grandchildren were coming  to see her and she was going out  to buy them cream cakes.   The drunk, a taxi driver I believe, was let off as he was drunk ( !!!)and did  not know what he was doing so was not responsible. Insane decision.   Thanks so much for posting . This information  about who lived on these old streets  is precious. She was happy in her little house. No electricity, a gas light, a radio with a massive battery that had to keep being recharged,  a gas ring, and the old coal fireplace and oven and a hob for a kettle.  A spotless, whitewashed, outside toilet that always smelled of Jeeyes fluid.