Author Topic: South Kimber Cornwall?  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
South Kimber Cornwall?
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,   Trying to find out where South Kimber was in the county of Cornwall in the 15th & 16th centuries.  Three generations of my husband's ancestors are listed as coming from there, but so far have had no luck in locating.  The next generation were found in Liskeard.  Know it's a long shot that anyone will know, but thanks to anyone who may have any info!
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks
Dewberry - Nthhnts/Loughborough - Barron - Cornwall - Hunkin - Cornwall

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: South Kimber Cornwall?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 05 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Northlew, Devon - about 2 miles NW of Okehampton has an area known as Kimber or East Kimber. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple,
                       Have noticed East Kimber in Devon, but can't believe that that was once in the Cornwall county.  Am beginning to think that it has to be the Devon one, as I can find no reference to South Kimber in Cornwall.  Many thanks for your interest.
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks
Dewberry - Nthhnts/Loughborough - Barron - Cornwall - Hunkin - Cornwall

Offline Stephen Beale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple,
                       Have noticed East Kimber in Devon, but can't believe that that was once in the Cornwall county.  Am beginning to think that it has to be the Devon one, as I can find no reference to South Kimber in Cornwall.  Many thanks for your interest.

Hi there. I've just discovered a reference to South Kimbare in Cornwall in my family tree from 1449(!!). I know the spelling is slightly different but am assuming it's the same place. Also have later references to Liskeard (1587). The family name is Hunkin.

Is it not possible that East Kimber/Kimbare was/is in Devon while South Kimber/Kimbare was/is in Cornwall? The border is not straight!

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
https://www.houseofnames.com/kimber-family-crest

the article  in the  link  refers to  South Kimber  Cornwall,     it also  shows the name variations  too  If  it was  near  to  a largish  town ,  it may have  been  absorbed into   that town   over the  years

Offline Stephen Beale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,   Trying to find out where South Kimber was in the county of Cornwall in the 15th & 16th centuries.  Three generations of my husband's ancestors are listed as coming from there, but so far have had no luck in locating.  The next generation were found in Liskeard.  Know it's a long shot that anyone will know, but thanks to anyone who may have any info!

Hi Frosty, I think your husband and i might be (very distant!) cousins. I have a fairly detailed Hunkin family tree here (starts 1449, similar date to yours?). I'll upload more soon!