Author Topic: Pepper/Peppard Family  (Read 6830 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pepper/Peppard Family
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
I noticed a lot of BMDs for the above in Wexford, especially Enniscorthy. My Peppards/Peppers came from "somewhere" to Balttinglass on the Wicklow/Carlow area. John is a predominant name amongst them.

Anyone researching these names in the Wexford area that might be able to help.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pepper/Peppard Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)

Enniscorthy Roots 1901.
Ross rd; (43)
Pepper George & Sarah; Maggie, Maryanne, Hannah, John, Michael, Katherine (postman)

1911;
Ross rd (43)
Pepper George & Sarah; John, Michael, Kathleen, Edward, Thomas, William, George, Maggie.
-------------

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
A Mrs Peppers (widow) from Wexford, and 2 sons came to Laois and married a John Barrington M.P for Queens County.

Peppers had a farm that was previously owned by John Barrington.

Offline Katrinka

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my Pepper ancestors who emigrated from Wexford in 1818 (came to Canada)  Our understanding is that they were from Enniscorthy.  I am been completely unable to obtain any information about their lives in Ireland.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Katrinka

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
From 'Houses of Wexford'

Glascarrig, Ballygarrett;
A priory was founded on Glascarrig  lands in 1198.
In 1568 Anthony Peppard leased the priory and its lands, and the Peppard family held the property until 1640.
-----------------------------------
Peppard's Castle, Ballygarrett;
This is a very old settlement. The name Peppard is Norman, and there are at least three branches in Ireland, Wexford, Limerick and Kildare.
The Peppard connection appears to date from about 1550, when the land passed to Walter Peppard of Kildare. His grandson, Patrick Peppard, built the back of the house.
-------------------------------------------------

Offline PatBol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hi im just starting a Geneology Of my family so i have not got very much info past my grandfather who was George Pepper from the Ross Road in Enniscorthy.

Offline 198pepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 August 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
ok how far back can you go with the peppers from enniscorthy , i have back to 1864 which was george pepper married to sarah pepper also i believe cork

Offline 198pepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 August 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
[hi I'm currently doing a family tree on the peppers from enniscorthy, back as far as George pepper married Sarah
George was born in 1864 in the Ross road, i no, he was a well travelled man for the time it was, as i believe he travelled around the world twice,also in the British army at one time, and i believe he was back home visiting the family, after going for a few drinks witha friend that he worked with from the UK,he was shot in the leg at the bottom of the Ross road,as there was a curfew at this time Irish history.. he had a family here in enniscorthy 6 i believe that lived i have all the dates and names right up to now,but I'm after hitting a wall now, as i believe George pepper 1864 also had a family in the UK, so now I'm lost as things back then where very hush hush,
Sarah pepper, is buried in st Marys graveyard, if anyone requires date or photos let me no, and also anything you have id be grateful, photos only start from Michael pepper down, as Michael pepper is 1 of Georgie pepper soon he was born in 1899.

Offline Michael Byrne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 04:12 GMT (UK) »
George and Sarah Pepper on the 1901 Census in Enniscorthy were my great grandparents. Hannah on that Census was my grandmother. She was Hannah Mary Pepper, born in 1893. On the 1911 Census in England, she was working in a household in I think Suffolk, but I'd have to check my records. She subsequently used the forename Anna instead of Hannah. She married my grandfather, Patrick Byrne in 1911 in Battersea, London, England, where she remained for pretty well the rest of her life. My grandfather died in 1956. My grandmother married a second time in the mid 1970s, taking the surname Wilkinson. She died in Tooting, London in January 1981. Some of my grandmother's siblings - Mary Ann, Thomas and George (and possibly John) also settled in London. The remaining siblings seem to have stayed in the Enniscorthy area. I have a family tree under my name Michael Byrne on the ancestry.co.uk website.