Author Topic: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)  (Read 34375 times)

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NEMO ii CLACTON
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
The Nemo ii was built in about 1928 on Southend Foreshore near the Kursaal.
There is a photo at the launch.

She was owned from 1928 to 1965 by my family, Great Grandfather John and Grandfather Newton (Newt) King in partnership with Reg Laws, and carried 70 passengers running half hour pleasure trips from the West Beach of Clacton on Sea. Crew at that time included my father Jack King and Billy Dale.

Newt did run her as a liberty boat at Brightlingsea in the second world war and later at…….
where she was used by the Admiralty in connection with testing radar and sonar before continuing as a tripper boat at Clacton in the 1950’s and 1960’s. It was said that only he could start the petrol-paraffin engine.  The Brightlingsea /Point Clear naval base was called HMS Nemo.  Whether after the Nemo ii or a coincidence is not known.

The Nemo was involved in the Dunkirk repatriation in 1940 with Newt in command but worked on the English side not crossing the channel.

Over the years she was ‘built up’.  Initially completely open, with seating at low level,  then was given over time  a raised open steering position, a foc’sl, raised seating and latterly an enclosed wheel house.

After 1965 she continued under different ownership including Dick Harman, running trips from Clacton, Brightlingsea and Maldon until the 1980’s or 1990’s.

Interested to hear where she ended her life, working until the end. Not the first time sunk. There are photos of her sinking on her mooring off Clacton Pier and being raised.

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Having posted a message I have now been given access to the rest of the string and am pleased to see such interest in the Nemo - particularly Jerry Lawes - so apologies if I have added information already given.

And I had no idea that a book had been written by J foynes - will have to source it.

K

Offline Brian Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nemo II
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 May 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like the definitive Nemo II history from Foursquare.

We will do a little more work at the Wales end to obtain more hard information regarding the relocation to Barmouth then Llandanwg harbour which will complete the history of a small craft that has sparked the interest of quite a few.

BM

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NEMO II in its heyday
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 May 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Attached are some photographs which give a brief history of the Nemo ii from 1928 to 1965.

Everything else written I can confirm as being correct. There was only one Nemo at Clacton – apart from the killer whale on the pier in the 1970’s.

Jerry fills in the history from 1965 to the 1980’s.  For the Harman period contact Andy Harman at the St Osyth Boatyard, St Osyth near Clacton on Sea.

I would be pleased to hear from Jerry again as I haven’t seen him since about  1975. (Jeremy then).

Keith K.

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NEME II in its Heyday
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 May 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
The Crew.

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NEMO II in its heyday -
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 May 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
The Crew

Offline foursquare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NEMO II - Sinking and recovery 1956 approx
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 May 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
NEMO II -  Sinking and recovery 1956 approx

Offline karenessa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 January 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena just to let you know I live at no 6 Regent ROAD, there is no Regent Street, Brightlingsea Essex.My home is over a one hundred years old and I have been told it was used by the navy in the war.

Offline sheena58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 January 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena just to let you know I live at no 6 Regent ROAD, there is no Regent Street, Brightlingsea Essex.My home is over a one hundred years old and I have been told it was used by the navy in the war.

Hi,
You're absolutely right, of course I meant Regent Road. My brain must have been in London when I wrote that! I'm fairly familiar with Brightlingsea as I visited quite a lot when I was a child. My grandmother grew up there and I still have one or two distant relatives there.
Interesting to hear about your house as this suggests the photo is more likely to be connected with the land base. The walls behind them appears to be panelled, so I don't know if that might give you an idea of where the picture was taken? How nice to have a house with a bit of history!
MacKay/McKay: Glasgow, Inverness,Tarbat & RedCastle Scotland.  Toronto, Canada.
McAulay/MacAulay: Caithness, Sutherland,Glasgow.
Dallas: Inverness.
Fraser: Tarbat.
Whyte: Avoch, Knockbain.
Mynard/Cannom/Harridance: any
Barrenger/Stapleton: Kent
Hoare: Hoo/Maidstone
Baker/Wood: Boughton Malherbe
Saltmarsh: Maldon district.
Smith: Dunmow/Stow Maries.
Anderson/Rash: Cambs
Pegg/Garner:Norfolk/Cambs
Bruce:Caithness