Author Topic: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)  (Read 34466 times)

Offline Ungy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 30 December 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
John, this is the picture in question. Clive

Offline Ajsv002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all again,
It's been a while since I last posted a comment on the subject of HMS Nemo. Further to my post about my grandfather in the photo. As I said before, he is sat 2nd from the right on the front row. His name Stuart James Vernon and ended the war as Lieutenant Commander DSC. He led force 'H' company on the Walcheren landings in '44 plus earlier had been involved in Dieppe, Solerno and others. I'm always interested in further info on him, his activities during the war, photos etc. I have a lot of wartime photos of him and his colleagues but don't know who most of them are.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ajsv002,

Sheena has been notified of your replies to this topic.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helmsdale1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 05 January 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined this website but have been following the Nemo II discussions with great interest.  The picture shown by Ungy on 31 December 17 I suspect was "borrowed" from the Viking Saga website as I have the original picture (a large colour slide) and, as far as I am aware, only sent a copy to "Noddy" Cardy's sister to put on the Viking Saga website (however, this might already be third or fourth generation).  I have a huge number of photographs/slides of Nemo II from her very early days at Clacton, right through until she departed in the 1980's.  I am happy to share these (along with photos of Viking Saga, Jill, Surf Queen, Speed Queen, Sea Spray, Kiwi etc.) but would ask that people just acknowledge who took the picture (postcards are, of course, very much public domain and available to anyone and everyone, so no acknowledgement required).

Thanks, and sorry to come in to the discussion with a bit of a moan, as the info from everyone has been fascinating - nice to know I am not alone with my love of Clacton's pleasure boats.

Richard

Offline Ungy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 07 January 18 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, I am not really sure where I obtained the picture in question and in no way would I have not credited you if I was aware of your ownership. These days all sorts of pictures crop up all over the place and I suppose that the only way to protect them is to watermark them. The picture doesn't appear to be on the Viking website. Apologies are in order. I have always had a love of Nemo II and have quite a lot of pictures that I have aquired over the years for my personal perusal. If you have read my earlier posts you will see that my young life revolved around Clacton Beach. I am online friends with Alan King whose father Laurie was skipper of the Viking Saga in the early years, Alan has an extensive collection of the VS and Clacton.
I am very interested in viewing your photo files if that is possible, because the whole pleasure boat thing brings back a lot of memories. I am in Melbourne Australia now for over 30 years and never saw the Nemo in your picture, the last time I went out on her with Dick Harmon would have been about 1983 when she was painted grey and I have stated I never liked the conversion, just never looked right. I last soke with Dick at the St Osyth boatyard in 1992 I think, when visiting the UK, he always followed his old boats and used to go and see them wherever they were. I have some early pictures from Maart Allcock, a musician who lives in North Wales and pictured her rotting away and posted it on his web site.