Author Topic: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)  (Read 34458 times)

Offline j foynes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS NEMO (bit of a long shot)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 March 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
I can clear all this up for you. NEMO II was a launch used for pleasure trips by Newt (Newton) King of Clacton in the 1930s. In 1940 she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and used as a harbour launch for the new naval base at Brightlingsea, about 7 miles from Clacton round in the Colne Estuary. Because such harbour craft often gave their name to the base to which they were attached. The B'sea base was given the name "HMS Nemo" in June 1940. The launch stayed there till the base shut in 1946. For decades after the war it was a local excursion launch at in the 1980s I saw it being used by the Brightlingsea Sailing Club to lead yacht races. It was sold in the 1990s and I guess that is how it got over to Wales--but I can't say exactly how and when.
I dealt with NEMO (shore base and boat) in 2 books I published in the 1990s. See British Library Integrated Catalogue. If you do have details for last vendors and buyers of the launch, do let me know.

Julian Foynes

Offline j foynes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 March 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Looked at excellent photo. What a sad end. Yes, that's the Nemo, with same colour paint I recall from 30 years ago. I have downloaded it and wonder if you'd have any objection to my printing it off for possible publication sometime (no plans to at present).

Offline Brian Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 March 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure which photos of Nemo II the J. Foyles reply refers to, but please do use any images submitted by Brian Mac.

Thanks for the information concerning Nemo II before & during WWII and the link with the HMS Nemo shore base.

Regarding her arrival in NW Wales: the name Mick Jones has come up at this end; she probably spent a few years in Barmouth in the 1990's before grounding in Pensarn harbour c.2000.

It would be good to find out when she was built and first registered with Port of London.

The sad end of one of the Little Boats, but great she is not entirely forgotten.

Brian Mac.

Offline archiebase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
Not a problem if any of my pictures are felt suitable for use, I have several more available if required.
Incidentally, there are some nice pictures to be found on Flickr, link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick_wilkinson_merseyside/galleries/72157625112663749/

Offline jerrylawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If anyone can give me any more info re the Nemo 2 I would be very grateful. My Father (Reg Lawes - he had worked over 40 years on the beach and his father over 50) was in partnership with Newt King for many years and subsequently took the whole ownership of the boat over. He much later sold it to Dick Harmon who also had a boat on Clacton Beach ( The Viking Saga) I moved away from Clacton some years later and have been trying to trace its history after then. As a child i did spend much time with my father on the beach with the boat. If anyone is interested I may be able to give a little more background history along with some personal photos etc. I have only just come to this site so hence no postings previously.
Thanks very much
Jerry Lawes

Offline Brian Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
Jerrylaws,

No doubt you have already looked at all the past postings and photographs submitted re. Nemo II.

We seem to be steadily piecing together her history.

Do you have any information as to her year and place of construction?

BrianMac

Offline jerrylawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Brianmac,
Thanks,
I am searching for some docs i researched around 2000 - 2002, but unfortunately i couldnt find her then and its too late now. Meantime i can tell you  in 1947 it was registered with 'Newt King' and i believe at that time my father worked with him on the boat at Clacton. It was then registered with my father as a co-owner in 1949. I do seem to recall my father mentioning once about being involved with Dunkirk, but he would never say very much in depth.  At some point after that my father took sole ownership but at this point i cant confirm the date. Not having seen the boat or pictures of her for some time it was interesting to note both the raised bow end by what looks like 4 planks and also the enclosed wheel house. The black and white photo of her without them was how i remember it, so that must have been added sometime after around 1974 -75 ish as i think that was when my father sold her.
A couple of bits of info might help. I remember my father used to moor the boat off the end of Clacton pier overnight  and occasionally he would let me go out to her first thing in the morning and bring her in to the beach before the start of the days business. I do remember on at least one occasion she did sink due to bad weather overnight and was obviously refloated. He did say that had happened once before then as well but i dont know the date. When he knew there was to bad weather we would take her along the coast to shelter in the estuary between Brightlingsea and Point Clear. During the winter months the boat would be taken along the river to a place called Rowhedge and taken out of the water for its annual refit to comply with the board of trade. Again on occasion i would go with him to help clean the paint work and repaint etc.

At this point i also can't tell you where and when she was built, but as soon as i have found some docs, pictures and more info i will get back to you with poss some better news, but hope this helps in the meantime
Regards
Jerry Lawes

Offline Brian Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Jerry,

Thanks for the information.

What date would you place the Clacton colour postcard (on page 1 of this string)?

For some reason the date 1958 was given originally, but from what you say about the raised bow  it is probably later.

From what we can peice together at this end, Nemo II was brought to Barmouth in the 1990's and used for a few years as a pleasure craft before grounding in Llandanwg harbour c. 2000.

Brian

Offline jerrylawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Brian,
I can definitely confirm that the picture of the boat painted blue with the raised bow is post 1973. The reason is that in the background at the top left you will see part of a modern steel roller coaster. Up until 1973 there had been a steel and timber roller coaster that had been called 'The Steel Stella' This was completely destroyed in a fire in 1973 and later replaced by the ride you can see in the picture. If you search for Clacton pier fire or steel stella that will confirm the same and you should also be able to view postcards of that structure. Also the red and white structure in the far distance was called the 'Jolly Roger' which was formally a theatre had been boarded up with galvanised tin sheets which looked awful (another sad end to an historic structure) and that was done around the same time. I would go so far as to suggest the picture could even be around 1975 - 76.
Still searching for the docs and pictures i have.
Regards
Jerry