Author Topic: Edingburgh: Burial place of Russian Family  (Read 7643 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edingburgh: Burial place of Russian Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Check this site out:

Original version

Translated version by Google

It has details for both Amelia and James; unfortunately no children's details. :(

---

However, did a search on the IGI website (although under "All Resources", http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=search_all1.asp&clear_form=true) and got a few results:

All to James Prehn and Amelia Brandt:

Edmund Prehn (b. 1857 Liverpool, d. 1924, married to Helen Thornton 1893)
James Ronald Prehn (b. 1859 Peterhof Lengrd?, USSR, d. 1919)
Marie Louise Prehn (b. 1872 Saint Petersburg, Russia)

hume

Offline Caz1960

• RootsChat Member
  • my paternal grandfather, James Lyon Innes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 April 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Another cemetry to try is Piershill Cemetery, as they have a Jewish Burial Section.  As far as I know having lived in Edinburgh for years till moving to West Lothian, this is the only Cemetery with a Jewish Burial Section in it, although I may be wrong.

Caz
Innes, Portobello, Edinburgh
Higham, Menstrie, Clackmannanshire also England somewhere
McLaren, Menstrie, Clackmannanshire
Lindsay, Menstrie, Clackmannanshire
Barron, Strabane, Co. Tyrone/Edinburgh

Offline Akwaba

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
Eric Prehn was born to English parents in Moscow and fled Russia in 1922.  Studied in Italy.  Moved to Scotland 1941 and lived in Oban and then Edinburgh.  Exhibited at the RSA, SSA in the 1940's but ceased in the 1950's.   Fine Art Society held a memorial exhibition in 1986.

Once the exact date, from the death registration, is known then a search in  Edinburgh Room at the Central Library,  who hold back copies of the local newspapers and any obits, death notices  etc, will be found there. 

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 November 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
You could try Newington Cemetery, I believe this was the original one in Edinburgh for the Jewish Community, all the Jewish people are buried down by the long wall that runs down Dalkeith Road and down towards Savacentre Cameron Toll. The original Synagogue was at West Richmond Street further up the road.

Archie.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 November 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Details of Newington Necropolis Jewish section for those interested:
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurefirst7886.html
http://www.newingtoncmy.fsnet.co.uk/

If Eric was Russian Orthodox then perhaps you could try contacting the Orthodox Chapel of St Andrew in Edinburgh to see if they could give you any guidance.

http://www.edinburgh-orthodox.org.uk/

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline julkes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Found them!!!!

Grange Cemetery
Russians and Danes in the UK

Offline Christopher Gordon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes - The Grange Ceremony is correct. The actual location is very close to the street entrance off Beaufort Road. I was at Ir(in)a's funeral in the Orthodox Chapel in Edinburgh and assisted at the burial as light snow fell at the start of the New Millennium. An Orthodox priest ('Father John') lived above the Prehns for years.

Eric's family had originally been English traders in Moscow, while Ira's family origins are a matter of discussion amongst her own family - 'Gartier' or 'Hartier'. Her father was a professor and Ira's sister was Reader in Russian at Edinburgh University. The Prehns after escaping from Russia lived in Riga before finally coming to the UK. They spent most summers in Florence and/or Rome researching and writing studies on early Italian Renaissance painting.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 January 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Christopher, welcome to RootsChat  :)

The internet is always an amazing thing. After a few years, your comments bring so many personal details.  julkes has been online not too long and should get notification of your message.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 January 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
i have only just noticed your post online.  My late aunt was Irina Eduardovna Prehn, nee Gartier, or Gartje the older daughter of Prof Dr Med Eduard Eduardovich Gartier (or Gartje) she married Eric Thornton Prehn (in Russian termed Eric Dimitrovich) a Moscow born artist of British extraction.  In both cases the surnames are unusual, in that Uncle Eric's ancestors were Danish, whereas my grandfather's were German, the initial "H" of "Hartje" being transliterated to "G".
They bought 6 Spence St in 1948.  We found my aunt dead there on Christmas Day 1999. 
I can photograph the gravestone and send it to you.  They are indeed buried in Grange Cemetry.  My grandfather is buried in Newington Cemetry.
The Wilfred Prehn mentioned was one of Uncle Eric's younger brothers; he was the oldest of four sons.  I know very little of his father, but his mother was a member of the Thornton family who ran textile mills in pre-Revolutionary Russian.  There is material deposited in the Leeds Russian Archive.