Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 14:03 BST (UK) »

In a nutshell, the fact that my father left when I was so young means (to me) that the genetic link is probably the least important. Do I want to know where my genes came from, or do I want to know who I am? There is sometimes a big difference.

Mike.

There's been a debate over the years as to whether one's traits are caused by 'nature or nurture' and I was always of the firm belief that nurture was the answer.  I was born in the era where family lived near each other thus I knew one side of my family back to gt.grandpa were engineers and the other side of the family were in practical industries too.  Thus is came as a great surprise when one of our children had an overwhelming desire to have her hands in clay, to experiment with colours and design pottery.   As I went farther back into my family history the penny dropped that nature had to have a hand in it somewhere when I discovered a line of potters and a chemist working in the pottery laboratory back in the 1800's.   

Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
I have an illegitimacy problem dating back to c1776. My 2 great grandfather was baptised as a base son, with his surname crossed out by the vicar. I was told by the archivist that this was a device used when the vicar knew or thought he knew who the father was. My question, would a Y chromosome test by me and a known direct line male descendant of the putative father determine my descent?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 15:45 BST (UK) »

.........In a nutshell, the fact that my father left when I was so young means (to me) that the genetic link is probably the least important. Do I want to know where my genes came from, or do I want to know who I am? There is sometimes a big difference.

Mike.

I think people in general do want to know where their genes come from as although they may not see any resemblence to their father etc more often than not genes do resurface in later generations. Who knows you son or grandson may inherit your fathers genes \ personality traits etc In short I guess what i am saying is don't dismiss genes as you don't know what the future holds and whether then you had wished you had known
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, and thanks to Mark and Elizabet for their help in clarifying things for me  :)

Mike, I can understand where you're coming from. However, in my case it's different for you are talking about your father (which is very close to home and more recent) and I'm talking about my great grandfather, whom I never knew and never met. Granddad always wanted to know who his father was, and in a way, I'm hunting the truth for him as well as for myself. Granddad started his tree, heavily researched who he thought to be his father, and this excitement turned to disappointment when he found out that the father he had (though he was a good and lovely man) was in fact his step-father. Mark, the surname isn't as common as Smith or Jones, but it's not obscure. Hopefully I stand a chance? Maybe, overtime, as more people get tested I'll find out even more information - I'm happy with that.

Also, using DNA to find out your propensity for diseases etc. is also useful (on my husband's side, especially, where a few people have or have had MND) - but that isn't my focus in this case, and it'll be a brother (hopefully!) who will take the test so I can figure out my paternal side. I'm just saying that there is a place for DNA in genealogy.

Mark, thanks for the link to that website - I've posted a message there and hope to find out more soon - though you guys have been so helpful!   :)

Best wishes

Lubok
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

elizabet

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 14:38 BST (UK) »

"Dear All-
There is a body set up especially to assist with explaining DNA for genealogy - The International Society of Genetic Genealogists. (http://isogg.org)
Regards,
Mark
ISOGG Member, FTDNA Tested"
...............................................................................................
Is there an email address for isogg.org, that can be used outside there webpage? My org does not allow sending out, or use of web-based email. Thank you

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
Related Link: http://www.isogg.org
Post message: DNA-NEWBIE (at) yahoogroups (dot) com
Subscribe: DNA-NEWBIE-subscribe (at) yahoogroups (dot) com
Unsubscribe: DNA-NEWBIE-unsubscribe (at) yahoogroups (dot) com
List owner: DNA-NEWBIE-owner (at) yahoogroups (dot) com

elizabet